Need opinions on this design and advice on a water feature

Feb 1, 2016
Valrico/Fl
So here are the rough specs.
15x31 pool with large sunshelf 6x15 off to the side.
6x9 spa
12" raised beam along the back

so the basic idea of my design was to create a large covered area(being done with elite panels) and get the pool out of the tall shadow of the main house pushing it out further into the yard all while trying not to create any blind spots in the pool from the unusual shape of my home.

that being said it left me with an unusual spot for my spa. And I'm a little stumped on how to create a water feature along the back wall without it looking weird with the spillover from the spa perpendicular to it.

To summarize, please feel free to critique the design and offer any improvements and also to recommend a good way to incorporate a cool water feature on the back beam.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

You could add a sheer descent in the back wall or scuppers or some bowls with an overflow into the pool.

Following up on dv's bowl idea, if you are concerned with the one water feature on the side not meshing with the others on the main wall, you may be better off having them be of different types to distract from your perceived dissonance. So two or three bowls and then the one spillover on the left.

But I now have another idea...can you bring the raised bond beam around the pool opposite the spa, out the same distance as the spa, and have a sheer descent there that balances the spa spillover? Then those two would match and you could do three more matching ones on the main wall, or three of some other type on the main wall.

View attachment 45456Thanks guys! This forum has been such a great resource. Even though this is my first post I've been lurking and reading for weeks now. Just trying to learn what I can.

We are super excited as this will be our first pool and I'm probably way over analyzing.

Actually, I think I may have found an idea, from a fellow user's pool (CCisotope), that I think might be a winner. Would just want to tweak a little from their design to add overflow scupper bowls on either side of the raised 18" area and do a 4' sheer decent in the middle of the bench area.

Looks like it's going to be a great pool as-is. Since you are asking us to spend your money though....

It's not a water feature, but I'd put a planter area in to soften the patio area. Not giant or anything but just enough to bring some green into all the decking. Maybe spanning the wall with the chimney and two windows? Just like 18" max deep.

As far as water feature ideas, I think taking your lead from CCisotope's pool as above is perfect. Classic design!

plat.

I too like the working design, but I would like you to take a giant step backwards and tell us how you plan to use the pool You mention importance of sight lines from the house, is this due to kids that will be in the pool? Also what construction technique are you planning (gunite?) I ask this because I think far too many people get caught up on water features, and design styles and forget basic function of the pool. While we are at it what is the depth profile you are working with?

Ike

ps to put this in perspective, compare pool shopping to an automobile purchase, except one that is much harder to trade in. What you think you want may be very different from what you need, or what would fit in best with your lifestyle. For example I know a guy (empty nester) that recently bought a relatively low somewhat sporty car just to get it home and find he could not pull into his fairly steep short driveway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First and foremost... go Bloomingdale Bulls!! My pool is actually very similar to your design both size and design and we love it. My two suggestions would be: add a bench seat in your deep end for entry / exit and to really look at the size of your beam wall and consider taking it up to 18" - 24". Let me know if I can assist in any way.

Isaac-1:
I mention sight lines more because I didn't want to have any part of the pool that couldn't be seen from the lanai area. I do have 3 kids that can't wait to have a pool but I don't plan on letting them swim without our supervision of being outside with them. Yes gunite. Depth profile 3'6" to 5'6".

Txnole:
We must really be at odds, I'm a Brandon eagle and proud member and contributor of the streak. Secondly, I'm a gator. Now that we have that unpleasant business out of the way :D there's a deep end bench between the spa and the house. It's a bit difficult to see from the rendering I posted but it's there. As far as the beam I am thinking of going up to 18" for the middle ~14' where the bench and sheer decent would be(like ccisotope) and then dropping back down to 12" for the remainder.

Txnole:
We must really be at odds, I'm a Brandon eagle and proud member and contributor of the streak. Secondly, I'm a gator. Now that we have that unpleasant business out of the way :D there's a deep end bench between the spa and the house. It's a bit difficult to see from the rendering I posted but it's there. As far as the beam I am thinking of going up to 18" for the middle ~14' where the bench and sheer decent would be(like ccisotope) and then dropping back down to 12" for the remainder.

Yes, clearly you owe me a fair number of beers!! :king: We did the same with our beam wall (12"-18"-12") Wu h the sheer centered. Have you gotten into the equipment list yet? Can't wait to see your decisions in action!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.