Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need opinions on this design and advice on a water feature

1. Back To Top    #1

Need opinions on this design and advice on a water feature

So here are the rough specs.
    15x31 pool with large sunshelf 6x15 off to the side.
    6x9 spa
    12" raised beam along the back

so the basic idea of my design was to create a large covered area(being done with elite panels) and get the pool out of the tall shadow of the main house pushing it out further into the yard all while trying not to create any blind spots in the pool from the unusual shape of my home.

that being said it left me with an unusual spot for my spa. And I'm a little stumped on how to create a water feature along the back wall without it looking weird with the spillover from the spa perpendicular to it.

To summarize, please feel free to critique the design and offer any improvements and also to recommend a good way to incorporate a cool water feature on the back beam.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need opinions on this design and advice on a water feature

Welcome Steve....can't recommend anything myself but can tell you it's a beautiful design! Others will be along shortly I'm sure
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

You could add a sheer descent in the back wall or scuppers or some bowls with an overflow into the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Following up on dv's bowl idea, if you are concerned with the one water feature on the side not meshing with the others on the main wall, you may be better off having them be of different types to distract from your perceived dissonance. So two or three bowls and then the one spillover on the left.

But I now have another idea...can you bring the raised bond beam around the pool opposite the spa, out the same distance as the spa, and have a sheer descent there that balances the spa spillover? Then those two would match and you could do three more matching ones on the main wall, or three of some other type on the main wall.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Attachment 45456Thanks guys! This forum has been such a great resource. Even though this is my first post I've been lurking and reading for weeks now. Just trying to learn what I can.

We are super excited as this will be our first pool and I'm probably way over analyzing.

Actually, I think I may have found an idea, from a fellow user's pool (CCisotope), that I think might be a winner. Would just want to tweak a little from their design to add overflow scupper bowls on either side of the raised 18" area and do a 4' sheer decent in the middle of the bench area.

6. Back To Top    #6

ANOTHER FL person! Oh yeah AND they are letting us help spend their money! LOVE IT!

I really like the above design. That would fit right in with your house!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like it's going to be a great pool as-is. Since you are asking us to spend your money though....

It's not a water feature, but I'd put a planter area in to soften the patio area. Not giant or anything but just enough to bring some green into all the decking. Maybe spanning the wall with the chimney and two windows? Just like 18" max deep.

As far as water feature ideas, I think taking your lead from CCisotope's pool as above is perfect. Classic design!

plat.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"©
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

8. Back To Top    #8

plat has a great idea with the planters in that area. That would be such a pretty sitting for that.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

You could put some wok pots on the wall (with fire if you want). Three would do nicely.

10. Back To Top    #10

I too like the working design, but I would like you to take a giant step backwards and tell us how you plan to use the pool You mention importance of sight lines from the house, is this due to kids that will be in the pool? Also what construction technique are you planning (gunite?) I ask this because I think far too many people get caught up on water features, and design styles and forget basic function of the pool. While we are at it what is the depth profile you are working with?

Ike

ps to put this in perspective, compare pool shopping to an automobile purchase, except one that is much harder to trade in. What you think you want may be very different from what you need, or what would fit in best with your lifestyle. For example I know a guy (empty nester) that recently bought a relatively low somewhat sporty car just to get it home and find he could not pull into his fairly steep short driveway.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

First and foremost... go Bloomingdale Bulls!! My pool is actually very similar to your design both size and design and we love it. My two suggestions would be: add a bench seat in your deep end for entry / exit and to really look at the size of your beam wall and consider taking it up to 18" - 24". Let me know if I can assist in any way.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

12. Back To Top    #12

Isaac-1:
    I mention sight lines more because I didn't want to have any part of the pool that couldn't be seen from the lanai area. I do have 3 kids that can't wait to have a pool but I don't plan on letting them swim without our supervision of being outside with them. Yes gunite. Depth profile 3'6" to 5'6".

Txnole:
    We must really be at odds, I'm a Brandon eagle and proud member and contributor of the streak. Secondly, I'm a gator. Now that we have that unpleasant business out of the way there's a deep end bench between the spa and the house. It's a bit difficult to see from the rendering I posted but it's there. As far as the beam I am thinking of going up to 18" for the middle ~14' where the bench and sheer decent would be(like ccisotope) and then dropping back down to 12" for the remainder.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Stevescott View Post

Txnole:
    We must really be at odds, I'm a Brandon eagle and proud member and contributor of the streak. Secondly, I'm a gator. Now that we have that unpleasant business out of the way there's a deep end bench between the spa and the house. It's a bit difficult to see from the rendering I posted but it's there. As far as the beam I am thinking of going up to 18" for the middle ~14' where the bench and sheer decent would be(like ccisotope) and then dropping back down to 12" for the remainder.
    Yes, clearly you owe me a fair number of beers!! We did the same with our beam wall (12"-18"-12") Wu h the sheer centered. Have you gotten into the equipment list yet? Can't wait to see your decisions in action!
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.