some basic questions on pressurized sand filtration

dtb125

Mar 1, 2016
auburn
i know this might be out of the norm but here goes. i am wanting to use a small doheny sand filter with my saltwater aquarium sump system.
i want to make sure that it wont filter out dissolved salt(pretty sure it wont, but want to be sure) andif i did get alot of air in the system with the gates open in the filter position how likely is to blow the cap off.seems pretty unlikely to me but i am no pro.

i would recommend posting to an aquarium forum. from your post, sounds like maybe you are talking about a fluidized sand filter, which can be done, not not typically on saltwater systems...and no, it will not filter out dissolved salt, you need a very fine membrane for that, like in a RO/DO setup.

from my experience in saltwater aquariums, you dont need that type of filtration anyway, loading up the sump with live rock is your best bet and then using a filter sock on the drain return is fine. but thats off topic for a pool forum :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.