Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: some basic questions on pressurized sand filtration

1. Back To Top    #1

some basic questions on pressurized sand filtration

i know this might be out of the norm but here goes. i am wanting to use a small doheny sand filter with my saltwater aquarium sump system.
    i want to make sure that it wont filter out dissolved salt(pretty sure it wont, but want to be sure) andif i did get alot of air in the system with the gates open in the filter position how likely is to blow the cap off.seems pretty unlikely to me but i am no pro.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sarasota, FL

Re: some basic questions on pressurized sand filtration

i would recommend posting to an aquarium forum. from your post, sounds like maybe you are talking about a fluidized sand filter, which can be done, not not typically on saltwater systems...and no, it will not filter out dissolved salt, you need a very fine membrane for that, like in a RO/DO setup.

from my experience in saltwater aquariums, you dont need that type of filtration anyway, loading up the sump with live rock is your best bet and then using a filter sock on the drain return is fine. but thats off topic for a pool forum
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: some basic questions on pressurized sand filtration

It will definitely not filter out dissolved salt. But, I agree with Dan, use live rock or bioballs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach