Gas Heater and Heat Pump

May 20, 2015
New Jersey
Last season we added a gas heater since that's what we thought we would need in the northeast to help heat our pool. However, we thought the average pool temps without the gas heater would be higher, the average in low 80s. We like the temps higher to swim since the pool gets a lot of shade. So I thought about adding a heat pump to maintain the temps daily and using the gas heater on cool nights when we want to raise the heat quickly.

Was just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of setup. Does this even make sense to do?

Also, I have a Hayward automation system and am wondering if this setup would work with it. Everything I read says it can handle two heaters.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, I've see that before. Heat pumps are great for efficiently maintaining pool temps for extended periods of time. And as you mention gas heaters are for heating water quickly. Not sure about the automation.

I do think it was unseasonably cool last summer, even in tx. Here's to more heat and :sun: this year!

I'm in Massachusetts and I have both a gas heater and a heat pump. I had the HP first, but wasnt doing the job on other end of the season. I was like you. I thought I'd use the gas to heat the pool when I wanted fast heat and use the HP to maintain during the summer.

You know what, I havent used the HP in 2 years. Might as well be a boat anchor. I need to get rid of it. Problem is I couldnt sell it I dont think. Probably just have to junk it. To me, they were sold as a panecia to high gas prices and heat your pool for pennies a day. Yea, if you live where its sunny and above 70 degrees from March till October, and the nights dont go below 65 for the entire season. I havent found they are practical at all in the NE.

Last season we added a gas heater since that's what we thought we would need in the northeast to help heat our pool. However, we thought the average pool temps without the gas heater would be higher, the average in low 80s. We like the temps higher to swim since the pool gets a lot of shade. So I thought about adding a heat pump to maintain the temps daily and using the gas heater on cool nights when we want to raise the heat quickly.

Was just wondering if anyone has experience with this type of setup. Does this even make sense to do?

Also, I have a Hayward automation system and am wondering if this setup would work with it. Everything I read says it can handle two heaters.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Get a gas heater and a solar blanket pool cover. The cover will keep the heat in the water during the evenings and then in the morning when the pump and heater kick back on, the heater has very little to reheat the water. Why spend another $3K-$4K on another heat source? What size gas heater do you have now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.