Help me with my automation system...

ummgood

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 18, 2015
Austin, TX
I have a Jandy PDA-P8 system to control my pool. There are a few things I would like to do but cannot figure out. I am not sure if this is just not possible or the way my PB has it setup.

1. I would like to be able to turn on/off things from my panel at the pool equipment. For example I forgot my PDA remote in the house and I just want to turn off the polaris so I can clean out the bag. Or say I want to turn my LED lights back on to the same settings as they were before. Right now the only button on my panel that works is the one to put my entire system in timeout or service mode. If I press any button under the numbers then nothing happens. Plus I can't change the percentage of my SWG from the panel either. I press up/down arrows and nothing happens. My back door is a flight of stairs above the pool and when I forget I just want to walk over to the pad and turn things on/off but it appears those buttons are locked out?

2. Is there any way to get the PDA to boot faster? It is SO SLOW. Last night I timed it and it seemed to be longer than normal and took around 2 minutes until the system was usable. PLUS if it is displaying the status on the screen it won't let me change equipment. Can I turn off status or other things to make it more responsive? Yes I am impatient but this is the 21st century and things should be more responsive than this PDA remote is.

3. On another note... How water resistant is the PDA. It appears to be made out of materials that can get wet. My PB said don't even get it wet and it is $500 to replace. I have honored that but it seems to me a remote for hanging out by the pool should at least be able to handle some water dunking. I keep the thing 30' away from the pool when my kids are outside because I don't want an accident.

First Gen PDA was slow to carry out commands. Second was a little faster, but still not instant. If your only interface is your hand held, or the panel at the equipment, manual on off (at equipment) is your only control which is limited if PDA is non responsive. Check batteries and maybe even a call to Jandy/Zodiak for diagnosis of dead/dying PDA. Also check for recent re-location of transmitter at equipment, recent addition of electrical motor near transmitter, or something that may be blocking signal to your PDA. A new wall, distance, and again, weak batteries.

I believe that the PDA is water resistant, not necessarily proof. IOW, splash on dry land, but no submerge.

If all you want to do is clean a bag or some related maint. You should be able to just put it into service, perform your maint, then put back into auto. If you cannot turn things on or off while in service mode at panel, you may have an issue with the board.

Otherwise, stairs are good cardio...

Give your PB the line about the 21st century, and how come he didn't sell you the iQ20-RS?

This system is brand new. My pool has only been running since November. So you are saying if I press buttons on the controller and nothing happens like pressing #1 to try to turn on/off my polaris pump and it does nothing then there is something wrong with my board? I can't seem to get any of the buttons on the panel to work except for the service/timeout/auto button. I didn't want to turn off the entire pool because then it goes into this 4 minute prime state. I was thinking if I could quickly turn off the thing I wanted off that would be more efficient.

I know it is good cardio but I have knees that don't like stairs and I had foot surgery in November so I really would like to minimize my trips up/down.

I know it is good cardio but I have knees that don't like stairs and I had foot surgery in November so I really would like to minimize my trips up/down.
I hear you...

Once you have put the system into "service" you should then be able turn things on and off. Don't forget to put it back into auto when you are done, being in service locks out all programming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.