Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA remover

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA remover

Hello to all. I have a question about an issue I have with my pool. 10,500 gallons and I have a CYA level of about 130. Other than dumping 67% of my water, has anyone ever used a product that is supposed to remove high levels of cyanuric acid? I found a product called Bio-Active Cyanuric Acid Reducer and I am curious about it. Any opinions?
    14' x 28' kidney-shaped pool, in ground, 3' to 6' depth. 10,500 gallons. 1 hp, 220 vac pump (3450 RPM) motor w/Hayward C-250 paper cartridge filter unit. Screen enclosure.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA remover

Welcome to the forum.

Plenty of opinions.....google the discussions here on this forum. It doesn't work. Run as fast as you can.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

When this product came out last year we had high hopes. One or two folks reported great results, but as it turns out many others reported failure of the product to reduce CYA.

As dave says, a search of our site reveals multiple threads regarding the product, but we can not recommend it because of it's history of lack of performance as reported by our members.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry52 View Post
    Hello to all. I have a question about an issue I have with my pool. 10,500 gallons and I have a CYA level of about 130. Other than dumping 67% of my water, has anyone ever used a product that is supposed to remove high levels of cyanuric acid? I found a product called Bio-Active Cyanuric Acid Reducer and I am curious about it. Any opinions?
    other than time, think about it like this. changing your water works 100% to remove CYA. if you need to drain 2/3 of your pool, thats about 7,000 gallons. on you water bill, how much do you pay per 1,000 gallons of water?? not much. compare that to a very very expensive product that doesnt work. the math is easy. drain and refill bite the bullet once on the drain and refill, follow the methods here in TFP, and never have to do it again.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;