Intex 18' what chemicals to start it off?

Feb 26, 2016
Central FL
Brand new install. I am filling it now. What should i put in it to get it clean and what tester is recommended? When testing what are acceptable levels? Fist pool sorry for the questions.
BTW i also bought the saltwater kit
[h=1]Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools[/h]Ive read about 140lbs of salt, does that go in all at once? do i use bleach or any other chlorine?
I did search and didn't find much that supported my setup.
[h=1]2016-02-28 16.34.24.jpg[/h]

Hey John, and welcome. You'll want to take a moment to read the Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry first, but "Yes", put the salt in now to start mixing. You also need stabilizer right away to protect your chlorine and make the water safe for swimmers. For a SWG pool, you want to use the Poolmath calculator to set your SWG to get up to 70 ppm. So what is best to test the water? I suggest the TF-100 (with speed stir) that can be purchased at TFTestkits.net. Some folks also like the Taylor K-2006 which can also be purchased at that site. They both use Taylor reagents, you just get more for your buck with the TF-100 as noted HERE.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, it may take about a week for the CYA readings to fully adjust.

Once you have the salt in there, and the stabilizer soaking, remember the CYA won't show-up on tests for about a week, so just treat your pool as if it is going to have a CYA of 70.

For sanitation, you need Free Chlorine (FC), but until your SWG can generate the FC, use regular bleach (no scents and not splashless) - just regular. Generic is fine. Again, by using the Poolmath calculator , add enough on day one to get you to about 2-3 ppm. The next day, you can increase a bit more to 4. You'll also want to read this page: Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs. Once you know your SWG is working, you'll need salt test strips to confirm how its working. The same web site for the TF-100 has great salt test kits as well.

All of your recommended levels and products are:
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

The biggest mistake people make with a pool is not ensuring their CYA and FC match as noted on this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. SO keep it handy for sure. The salt and stabilizer can go in immediately. Bleach as well. If you have to add acid, separate it by about 10 minutes or so from other chemicals, and make sure the pump has mixed everything real well, or assist with a little brushing.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of info on this first post (sorry). Just go over everything a time or two and it will become second-nature. I had that same pool at one time, and I know how it reacts. If you're using the original Intex Type A filter system, it can get overwhelmed quickly. But always remember, it is water chemistry that keeps the water clear and prevent algae, NOT the filter. Your best friend will be the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit I assure you. Stick close with us and we'll help along the way. Welcome to TFP!

You'll want about 30 oz of regular bleach for the initial FC target of 3 ppm. And 61 oz of stabilizer (3 lbs 13 oz) to get to a target CYA of 70. The 140 lbs of salt you estimated should get you to a salt level of about 2,200.

- - - Updated - - -

Until you get your "good" test kit, you'll probably want an inexpensive 3-way kit from Wal-Mart like this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-3-Way-Test-Kit/17043605?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=17043605&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=e79b5410-8e02-4a74-bfeb-df5fe539cebd&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=17043668&parent_anchor_item_id=17043668&guid=4aa802db-f2fe-4033-b532-3da77febae57&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n. About $10. It won't test FC accurately like the others, but at least will let you know if you have some chlorine in there up to about 5 ppm. That's fine until your other kit arrives. You can also test pH with this kit which you'll want to know.

- - - Updated - - -

John, if you've never shopped for the chemicals before, most of them can be found at Wal-Mart. You can also find some items in the pool section of Home Depot or Lowes. Of course pool stores sell these products, but are more costly, so we try to keep you out of there.

Ok i added the 30 oz of bleach and 80 pounds of salt so far and mixed it well. I am missing a part on my pool and its coming from amazon tomorrow. Then i can turn on the pumps.

Any one know if i can use an extension cord to reach my GFI outlet for my pumps? I got a building permit and they will check and i am not sure if that is code compliant.

And Intex advertising the pool can be stood up in about 1 hour is crazy.. it took me 2 full days and 7k pounds of sand.

ha. Yeah, their "convenient" set-up is for those who probably don't expect it to be up very long. If I recall, those small Intex pumps only have a short cord, maybe just a few feet? At least until you can confirm, I don't see why an appropriately sized (amp) cord rated for outdoor use is a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.