Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Build Finished

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build Finished

New Pool build was just complete. Day 4 with water in pool.

Pool builder has me working primarily on getting PH stabilized. Adding ACID a little at a time and retest following day.

Maybe I'm just jumping the gun but should I be adding any Chlorine or CYA at this time?

Recently Added Proteam Supreme Plus 45lbs according to instructions. PH is around 7.8 just added a dash of acid this evening and will retest tomorrow.

I plan on using Liquid 10% Chlorine when I do, with the occasional 3" tab when traveling or after a heavy rain.

Thanks for any advice. I'll post picture tomorrow.

- TXPoolRanger
    33' x 21' + SPA, Approx. 20k Gallon, Gunite, Freeform, Natural Rock Features, PebbleTec Tahoe Blue Plaster;
    Hayward SwimClear 425, 400k heater, EcoStar Variable Pump, 1.5h Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Cleaner, Autofill;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build Finished

What is your arrangement with your PB about the warranty?

3. Back To Top    #3

New cement/gunnite pools take a while to "cure" and the pH tends to rise and require repeated doses of MA. Are you testing your water yet yourself or relying on pool stores to test? We always recommend folks do their own testing (no one is as conscientious about testing your water as you and you you aren't being encouraged to buy chemicals you may or *may not* need!)

Please review the Pool School articles (link at the top of the page) particularly
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I would recommend obtaining one of the recommended test kits which perform all the chemical tests you'll need to maintain clean and clear water. See the link in my siggy line for one source.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I am testing myself with one of the forums recommended kits.

PB warranty on the PebbleTec is subject to PebbleTec requirements.

PB has us brushing dust off walls and floors. I assume chlorination will occur once PH is a bit more stable.

thanks.
    33' x 21' + SPA, Approx. 20k Gallon, Gunite, Freeform, Natural Rock Features, PebbleTec Tahoe Blue Plaster;
    Hayward SwimClear 425, 400k heater, EcoStar Variable Pump, 1.5h Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Cleaner, Autofill;

5. Back To Top    #5

Here you go Ranger, check-out this page: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster. Compare what is listed here to what your builder is saying. If nothing else, it may allow you to take more charge of some items. Armed with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, you'll be in a good position to watch those numbers. Let us know if you have any more questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know of any contraindication for chlorine in a new pool just because the pH is labile except to add small amounts slowly until it reaches the desired chlorine level.

Please ask your PB what level of chlorination he wants the pool to have so it doesn't turn green before your eyes.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain