Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cell cleaning frequency

1. Back To Top    #1

Cell cleaning frequency

Just looking for some input on cell cleaning. I've seen lots of different recommendations on how often to clean them, or at least check them. Every six weeks seems to be a common one.

However, I put mine into use in early May of last year. I pulled it to inspect a couple times through the Summer and it was spotless. In October I cleaned it anyway and got no fizz or foaming, as I expected. With just now working on some preliminary prep and clean up I did it again today. I hadn't looked at it since October, but it's still spotless.

Am I likely safe just checking it each Spring and Fall, as long as it's not otherwise throwing any errors or displaying a very inaccurate salt level? As of October my TA was 60 and CH of 150. Even my tap water is only a TA of 50. My Ph is stable at 7.4 and rarely rises to 7.6 if running a fountain.

Just for Joyfulnoise, lol, pool store test showed a TA of 50 and a CH of 70 yesterday. No, I'm not relying on those, but with a Winter rains worth of dilution they aren't too far off from my last tests in October. I'll start testing next weekend myself though. If I test now I'll just HAVE to start messing with it and not ready yet

Sorry, long winded. Test levels are just a side note. If even somewhat in those ranges is that why I get ZERO scaling? I read so many posts about them getting dirty or scaling I'm wondering why mine still looks brand new. With just recently having a salt level issue it also turns out it actually reads somewhat high compared to an AquaChek strip and pool store result that matched (I need a better salt test though, I wish it was high enough for a refractometer to work and make it easy!)
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cell cleaning frequency

Pulling a cell and inspecting it periodically is always a good idea and there's no harm in it.

Cleaning a cell implies acid soaking it and that should only be performed on an as-needed basis determined by a visual confirmation of scaling. Acid will attack the proprietary metal coatings on the titanium plates which will reduce cell lifetime.

If you CH is below 200ppm and your local water/weather conditions are not conducive to natural CH rise, then you should raise your CH using calcium chloride to get to a minimum level. If you can calculate your CH loss per season, then I would add enough excess CH to the water to account for loss assuming you don't have to go over the CH recommended level.

If you have a vinyl lined pool, the minimum CH should be about 150ppm to avoid foaming or bubbles in the water but CH is mostly irrelevant to vinyl pool surfaces.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome! thanks again as always!

I'm not messing with anything until I test myself, but happy to know the cell just staying clean isn't abnormal either.

LOL, what an odd post, asking if something working, and apparently not needing anything, may not be right.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

My SWG is going coming up on 4 years. I checked spring and fall the first couple of years and it was spotless. Haven't looked in over a year. Guess I should check it this spring. I try to keep my CSI slightly negative and it stays off once the water is below 70*f.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach