Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could my beautiful pebble finish be RUINED after an acid wash???

1. Back To Top    #1

Could my beautiful pebble finish be RUINED after an acid wash???

Hi Everyone,

I am so happy I found this place. I don't know what could have gone wrong? My salt cell (original cell from 2009 when pool was built) went bad a few months ago and the pool got a lot of algae. My pool contractor installed a new salt cell and decided to drain the pool, do an acid wash (instead of shocking the pool) and refilling it. After the pool was filled all these "white" brushing/scrubbing/sweeping motion starting showing up all over the bottom of the pool in all different directions. Especially where the pool floor meet the side walls and starts to go up. My wife is telling me if someone ruined our pool I have to move out, lol...

The response I am getting from my pool contractor is he wants to drain the pool, do another acid wash and then power wash the pool. He said that will remove everything. Does anyone have any experience with this?

--Anthony
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could my beautiful pebble finish be RUINED after an acid wash???

The pics are not great. I will take some more after I turn the spillway off. These pics will show the settling of the "white" marks along the lower edges of the interior pool walls...

3. Back To Top    #3

To me it sounds like your pool contractor knows nothing about pool maintenance which seems to be far too common. They may know how to build a pool, but have no clue as to how to maintain them once they finish building them. As another question how have you been testing your pool water? Have you been keeping an eye on your calcium hardness? Calcium hardness tends to be an ongoing concern in much of the SW United States due to a combination of typically high CH fill water, water use restrictions, and evaporation which raises CH in the pool over time.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Anthony - Any chance you have some RELIABLE water test results from before the drain & acid that your could share? Much better pics would be good as well. Issac-1 is likely on to something with calcium leaching.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not so sure, but I'd like seeing better pictures. Not jumping to any conclusions on this one without more info.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

We need better pictures to give you any ideas. Some test results on the pool and your fill water would be good too. I would not be wire brushing this is most likely chemical.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

What do you mean by chemical please
    pool 11-14,IG 16,500G 4ft to 6ft Quartz Tahoe Blue Pentair equip VS pump cartridge filter IC40 SWG Heat Pump Hayward Shark XL Robotic Eagle Point, Or