Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waterfall rocks leaking and pool level dropping questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Waterfall rocks leaking and pool level dropping questions

I have 2 questions

1. When we turn on our waterfall some water leaks out of the back slightly. What can I use to seal those leaks?

2. Our water level in the pool has been lowering by about 7" in 10 day period. I don't see any leaks around the pool or equipment. How do I figure out if this is normal
    Or not? Or if I have a leak?
    14.7k IG free form pebble with elevated spa and waterfall, 3HP intelliflo vrs 3hp , Hayward super 2 pump?, Hayward swimclear cartridge filter c4025, rainbow lifeguard 320 & floatie, pentair master temp 400 heater, Hayward pool vac ultra

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waterfall rocks leaking and pool level dropping questions

Hummmmmmmmmm not a good thing at all to see it leaking like that.

How old is your pool? Did you have it built? Do you still talk to the pool builder?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

How old is the waterfall? Almost all waterfalls leak at sometime because the mortar tends to shrink. If it not noticeable you can use one of several epoxy sealants at the junction between the mortar and rocks in the portion of the waterfall that carries water.

For a pool leak go exhaust this first: Pool School - Leak Detection
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

We only bought the house 2 years ago but the house is almost 20 years old. Not sure if the pool/waterfall was there when the house was built or not.

Any specific epoxy sealant that I should use?
    14.7k IG free form pebble with elevated spa and waterfall, 3HP intelliflo vrs 3hp , Hayward super 2 pump?, Hayward swimclear cartridge filter c4025, rainbow lifeguard 320 & floatie, pentair master temp 400 heater, Hayward pool vac ultra

5. Back To Top    #5

You should be able to go online to your property taxing authority, appraisal district, to see what year the pool was built. Depending on how the mortar joints in the waterfall look I might be tempted to knock out any loose mortar and re-mortar it. If it looks pretty good and just needs a little touch up you can use some A/B pool epoxy to push into any cracks.

7" in 10 days is a lot. It isn't even hot yet. Get a 5 gallon bucket, put a rock in it and out it on a pool step. Fill it to the same level level as the pool. Keep an eye on it for 4 days or a week and see if the pool goes down faster. And don't run the waterfall to eliminate that as a leak source.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach