Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains after adding salt.... Help.

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains after adding salt.... Help.

Hi all.

Pool just got replastered over a month ago. Yesterday I decided to go ahead and add the salt to charge my SWCG. As always I checked here first and found some posts that members had successfully used the Diamond Crystal pool salt from Home Depot. I went and purchased it and added to the pool. Instantly after adding and brushing I could see shades and "stains" on the bottom. I tried vitamin c and didn't touch it. Wondering any other recommendations or ideas to remove them.

Water Chem

Ph 7.6
    Chl. 5.5
    Cal. 325
    TA. 80
    CYA. 60
    Salt. 3350

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Stains after adding salt.... Help.

Pics?
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll take some. Sun hits the pool most of the day and they are not visible then. I'll try to be home today around sunset see if I can get them.

4. Back To Top    #4

This is the first I have heard of salt staining plaster. I did some research and it appears that the most common conclusion is high PH. Was the PH high at the time?

Here are a couple of old discussions
    No Stains until salt was added
    Pool re-plastered two weeks ago--brown stains everywhere
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

PH was 7.8 before adding salt. I've been trying to keep it balanced according to pool math CSI values. Any idea how to correct it?? Will look at links posted. Thank you

6. Back To Top    #6

Acid was generally used to correct the staining. Try putting a trichlor puck on a stain to see if it helps. If it does it is organic and an acid bath will help. If it doesn't then put a vitamin C, ascorbic acid, tablet on it to see what happens. If that helps it is an inorganic stain, likely metal. More here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Will try today. Thanks again.

8. Back To Top    #8

Tried vitamin c and nothing. Poured acid on the spot using a pvc no change. Poured chlorine using same technique and still nothing. Here are a few pictures of what it looks like. I'm stating to feel like the salt actually damaged the plaster if that's possible.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry you are having trouble.

For background, though I see you waited 30 days, here is a post from someone very knowledgeable IME about plaster, in which they did experiments with salt additions:
    When Should Salt be Added?

You may wish to reach out to the author, onBalance, to see if he has any suggestions for a conversation with your plaster company and courses for remedy.
    Best wishes for a resolution.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

10. Back To Top    #10

I am out of ideas. I have PMd the thread for feedback.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

The MSDS for that particular brand of pool salt says it contains 8ppm sodium ferrocyanide (yellow prussiate of soda) as an impurity from the manufacturing process. It's an anti caking agent. It's not a high enough concentration to be a problem in the pool water BUT if the solid salt particles were in contact with the plaster long enough, it could be mild iron staining.

You'd have to see if they go away with time or you might need to do an Ascorbic acid treatment. How long did you let the vitamin C sit on the spots for?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

This appears to be a color pigment plaster job, is that true? Is it quartz or a pebble finish, and what color are the stains that you see?
    And are you sure that the plaster finish did not have these stains before adding salt?

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you all for the help and input so far. It is a quarts finish. Marbletite sapphire. Left the vitamin c on for a few minutes and no change. I'm 100% the stains were not there before the salt. You can almost make out where the salt hit the pool floor and I started to brush away.

14. Back To Top    #14

Sorry about not responding sooner.
    Some color pigments are "organic" and should not be used. Inorganic pigments are better to use. But color pigments for pool plaster are always problematic. You might ask the PB or plasterer what was used. Organic pigments will often bleach out in the presence of chlorine.

I don't know if "salt" will cause problems with organic pigments, as opposed to inorganic, but it is not good to allow salt to sit on any kind of plaster surface for more than an hour. This sounds like like an interesting experiment that can be performed.