Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebuilding Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Rebuilding Pool

Hi, I have owned a pool for about a year now that was built back in 1984. Its 12,000 gallons with an attached 810 gallon spa that spills into it. Also it is indoors. My propane heater broke when we first got the house and now were looking at rebuilding our whole pump system and adding a heat pump to it. We want to go electric b/c we are adding solar our house that will hopefully cover most of the cost of heating the pool. If that doesn't fit into our budget then just adding water solar panels to the pool system. I am trying to figure out what is the best setup for our pool and spa as far as how many pumps, one for the spa and one for the pool and what pumps and filters i should be running. Best automated pool cleaner, electric vs suction and if its suction should it be on its own pump? The pump I have now doesn't have enough suction for the pool cleaner to climb the walls. I don't really trust most of our pool people around where we live due to the fact that no one has ever had anything good to say about any of them so i'm trying to gain as much good knowledge as I can before we rebuild. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    In ground/ Indoor 13,500 gallon pool/spa combo/Gunite/plaster Built in 1984
    Purex Triton Fns Plus 48 D.E. filter/ Pentair pump intelliflo 2 VST
    Jandy Pro series truclear SWG
    Solar/ Pentair mastertemp 250 gas heater
    Aqualink Z4

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Rebuilding Pool

You are already off to a good start with the test kit you have set up.

Now help us help up some pictures so we can know what you are working with.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Rebuilding Pool

Please click 'settings' upper right and 'Edit Profile' lower left and add your state to your profile. Climate and location are very important in helping with pool maintenance and heating advise.

Are you looking to keep the pool heated all the time? Or keep it generally warm with solar panels and spot heat it to temp on weekends or occasionally? How much do you need to raise the water temp generally?

Depending on your location, roof orientation and available space solar water panels can provide plenty of heat for a pool and it can be supplemented with a heat pump if you intend to maintain the pool temp. How many panels and if the panels are on a roof one story up or two will impact the advise on the size of the pump.

Heating a spa to 100+ degrees with solar or a heat pump will take a long time if it is possible at all. A gas/propane heater is generally better for heating spas fairly quickly. You could also use the gas/propane heater to supplement the solar panels.

Robot cleaners are all the rage these days. Everyone seems to be trading in their suction and pressure cleaners for robots.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach