Hello from the Pacific Northwest

geoduck

Bronze Supporter
Feb 26, 2016
Mukilteo
Hello,
My family and I just bought a 1970's house with a fiberglass inground pool that is probably the same age. I haven't even started to dig into what state the pool equipment is in. The previous owners only noted that the pool had a new gas heater that needed to be hooked up. I'm guessing it needs more than the heater exhaust pipe hooked up but am glad I found this forum. I've never owned a pool before or really expected to. I am a scientist with an industrial wastewater treatment technology company so I have a solid understanding of water filtration.

It appears to have been a fully enclosed pool with an electric furnace and heat pumps to heat the pool. It's now only partially enclosed and my first project is securing it for safety.

IMG_9582.jpg

Congratulations on your new home and pool! You have lots on your mind I'm sure. When you get a chance, please start reviewing these pages:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Also, you'll want the right test kit to test water consistently. None of that pool store stuff trust me. You get what you pay for. These are the best values:
TFTestkits.net
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Later, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

You didn't know there would be homework did you? :) Easy stuff. Welcome!

What a cute reason for needing to secure it safely!

Pat has you covered on the homework you need to do to start learning how to take care of your pool. Take is slow and easy when you start reading. It can be overwhelming BUT once you start doing it everything will click.

Kim

I am just starting to dig into the equipment room. I'm not sure when any of it was last operated. Most of the equipment looks fairly old aside from the new gas heater that for some reason looks to be installed all but the electrical connection for the digital controller. The iron gas line coming into the heater has a layer of surface rust. I haven't dug into the plastic tote of chemicals beyond finding muriatic acid and some solid chlorinator tablets. There is also what I assume to be a non-functional Carrier Heat Pump setup.

Rest-assured we can help you along the way. The one thing you don't want to do is start dumping random chemicals into the pool based on pool store advice or what a neighbor says. Please consider one of the test kits I mentioned above so we know exactly where you start (chemically) and we'll give you pin-point steps after that. It's much easier than most people think.

When it comes to questions about the equipment, sometimes the best thing to do is post a pic of your equipment pad. A pic says a thousand words. Please review those links above. That is 99% of what you need to know. If you have questions, we're here to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and on your signature, we may recommend adding to your first line "Indoor" .. 16'x34' in-ground ..... Your pool seems to be set-back enough to where it doesn't appear to get much sun. The end from the photo above .... is that open or enclosed? Pools that don't receive sunlight or that are indoors have slightly different chemical needs is why I ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, above in your #1 post you already said "partially enclosed". :)

I will definitely be investing in one of the mentioned test kits. I regularly run quite a few of the tests already using Hach lab equipment. Once I can get a decent photo of the equipment I will post it. The pool definitely doesn't get much sun. The west side of the building is wide open. I assume this was an indoor pool and at some point the building was opened up when the existing HVAC equipment started failing. This is just my best guess. I think there is an old electric furnace and dehumidifier on top of the pool room from the pool's indoor days. I haven't gotten the ladder out to see what all is up there.