Need New Motor - Single or Variable

JBW

Jan 7, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Hello all. We just moved into our new house in December, and the motor is locked up on the pool. It was working fine back in August/September when we were looking at the house, but the previous owner shut it off before he left and now it's locked up. I'm sure I would be able to manually get it started, but some of the conduit is bad so I would like to replace the motor altogether. I know it would be simplest to just replace with the same model, but I've heard really good things about the energy savings and quietness of the variable speed motors.

That said, would I be able to keep the pump and just replace the single speed motor with a variable speed? Or would I have to replace the whole motor/pump unit?

Current model is SP2607X10 Super Pump 1HP. What are the models that I could replace it with...either Hayward or US Motors??

20160202_142931.jpg

kill the power at the breaker, remove the back cover, and spin the shaft with a wrench. It'll at least (or should) get you back in business for the short term. It could be a bad starter capacitor ($20 fix) as well since it's an AC induction motor.

As for VS? I love mine, but it was free. How expensive is your electricity and when do you run the pump? We have a "don't use electricity between 3 and 6 pm" power plan but I think I pay around $0.045 a KW the rest of the time, so I run my VS on high speed for 4 hours, then let it run at 500RPM the rest of the day aside from the 3 to 6. I figure my Hayward VS costs me about a dollar a day running it 21 hours. I replaced my AC single speed about a month after moving in, so I don't have a baseline on what that monster cost me.

It all really depends how much your electricity is. The VS setups are getting less expensive, but they're still going to be 2x to 3x an ACIM Fixed speed. I'm also a bit skeptical on how long these BLDC based ones are going to last in the long run.

Oh, and replace that missing bolt to the wet-end. you could theoretically be inducing vibrations into the motor which will make the bearings mad.

Oh, and replace that missing bolt to the wet-end. you could theoretically be inducing vibrations into the motor which will make the bearings mad.

There's no missing bolt. The bolt is in the hole from the inside.

For C-faced motors, the bolts come through the motor mounting plate and into the motor's threaded receiving holes . For a square flange, the bolts go through the motor holes into threaded receivers in the mounting plate.

The motor is 8 years old and has been running excessively hot.

Also note that the variable speed motor is 240 volt only. Most pool motors for inground pools are 240, but check to be sure.

That should work for you. Your current impeller is a 2607, I would upsize it to the 2610 so that it better matches the motor and will allow you to run the pump at lower rpm for the same gpm, which is typically quieter.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here since I posted that. Sounds like a good suggestion. I'll make sure to do that once I make the switch. :thumleft:

- - - Updated - - -

As for VS? I love mine, but it was free. How expensive is your electricity and when do you run the pump? We have a "don't use electricity between 3 and 6 pm" power plan but I think I pay around $0.045 a KW the rest of the time, so I run my VS on high speed for 4 hours, then let it run at 500RPM the rest of the day aside from the 3 to 6. I figure my Hayward VS costs me about a dollar a day running it 21 hours. I replaced my AC single speed about a month after moving in, so I don't have a baseline on what that monster cost me.

It all really depends how much your electricity is.

Electricity here is pretty high. I think I pay $0.087/KWh so I would see a pretty good savings on the VS motor. I'm sure I could get the current motor going, but the savings (and noise) make me want to go ahead with the upgrade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.