Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concerned after rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Concerned after rain

Our pool was dug last week, steel put in on Saturday. Unfortunately we got more rain Sunday and Monday than expected and walls have collapsed. Before I unleash, I thought I'd post these pictures. I'm concerned. Is this normally the way to fix a collapsed wall? I know very little about construction. I'm working from home today hoping I see more being done so I can ask.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concerned after rain

That is not the best way to deal with the wall issue. Its not awful but its not good workmanship. They need to remove the peg board and place dobies (spacers) in so that the guinite fills the entire void. They may need to wire some dobies together to do it and it will take more gunite but that is the contractor's risk. You don't want to shoot gunite when there is standing water or mud. Wet or damp soil is ok mud is not. This needs another day or 2 to dry out. Also you want 2 inches clear below the rebar cage on the floor. They need to add significantly more dobies on the floor.

The pool is enginnered to be constructed in undisturbed soil. A gap behind the wall is not undisturbed soil.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Gunite is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday. Pre-plumbing isn't in yet. They said it still needs time to dry out. The boards is what worries me, but I don't know much.
    Free form, according to plan - 33' X 17' (3 1/2' - 6' deep) plaster pool (approx 13,700 gallons pool, 700 gallons spa). Chlorinated. Jandy equipment, DE filter, free form elevated spa, 2 skimmers, 5 returns, tanning ledge, 8 ft weeping wall of Oklahoma/Moss boulders (double as retaining wall), Oklahoma flagstone coping. TF-100 kit and speed stirrer. Full sun 9-4:30.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The problem with the boards, as gwegan mentions, is that there will be voids behind the gunite shell. And since those voids are below the surface of the general ground level, the soil there will eventually erode down into the void leaving holes under your decking. Boards are fine when used as a back support for exposed areas, but not below grade.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm just going to cause more problems here. There is bonding wire wrapped around the rebar -- that is good. But I don't see clamps. The bonding wire must be clamped to the rebar with a listed clamp. That is code. And it must be clamped to the rebar in four different places distributed around the pool. A listed clamp looks something like this: Galvan JRD Bronze Alloy Lay-In Direct Burial Ground Clamp; 3/8 - 1/2 - 1 Inch, 10 AWG Solid-2 AWG Stranded - Crescent Electric Supply Company
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Ours failed due to the improper clamp type.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for the link. I would not have know what to look for. I did find 4 of these:

8. Back To Top    #8

My husband doesn't think they are done with the collapsed wall. I didn't get a response from my email, but I think he spoke with the project manager and said they still have the pack the wall. He didn't say anything about the boards though. So I don't know. I do know I will not hand over the next check unless I am happy. Maybe I am overreacting??

On a happier note, here is our design:

9. Back To Top    #9

No you are not overreacting. This is pool building. It's different . Just be polite and ask questions. I like the design. It sounds like rough pluming the pool is next. Let's see what it looks like after that.

Yea that's the correct clamp.

10. Back To Top    #10

I like how it is laid out in your yard! Nice set up!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Maybe the boards were just a quick fix to stop mud from coming into the pool, or to help with erosion.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I would imagine it's a temporary measure to stave off a larger collapse.

Your design looks great!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

13. Back To Top    #13

My husband talked to the construction manager today (I never got a reply on Friday). Yes, it is a temporary fix. They wanted to let the water they couldn't pump out evaporate. They are coming back tomorrow morning first thing around 7am (if we do not get storms tonight...should stay north along the Tex/Ok border...fingers crossed). They will remove the boards they have there now, scrape out the wall/loose dirt and place forms. They will double check all the rebar to make sure they are properly set. I feel better.
    Free form, according to plan - 33' X 17' (3 1/2' - 6' deep) plaster pool (approx 13,700 gallons pool, 700 gallons spa). Chlorinated. Jandy equipment, DE filter, free form elevated spa, 2 skimmers, 5 returns, tanning ledge, 8 ft weeping wall of Oklahoma/Moss boulders (double as retaining wall), Oklahoma flagstone coping. TF-100 kit and speed stirrer. Full sun 9-4:30.

14. Back To Top    #14

Trust but verify... on everything.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

15. Back To Top    #15

It is tomorrow! PLEASE tell me one of you will be there when then are to make sure it is all done the correct way.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, they started around 7 this morning. I worked from home.

17. Back To Top    #17

Now spend some time bonding with your pool aka watering it! LOL

Looks like they did a good job! How does it look up close?

Kim

18. Back To Top    #18

I guess it looks okay? I have never seen a gunite pool be built before, except on YouTube. My sister has a liner pool.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Looks good, don't stress they will scrape down and clean the whole thing very well before plaster. Most any divot or hole including any they may make to tile or put return jets on will get filled with plaster. Water, water, water you almost can't over do it don't worry if you get a couple feet pooling in the deep end.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

20. Back To Top    #20

Our instructions said to wait 24 hours to water and to water twice a day. Is that typical? Construction manager said once a day is fine. I think I will stick to at least twice. High temps are forecasted to be in the lower 70's. How long should they wait to tile...should they wait? He mentioned the tile was being picked up today.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast