Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problems with Stenner

1. Back To Top    #1

Problems with Stenner

I installed a stenner 45MPHP10 last year. I threaded it straight into my line. After the winter (Phoenix), it is now:
    1. Leaking bleach out of the plastic piece when it's on
    2. When it's not on, it seems that somehow the water from the pool is going back up though the line and into the pump and is leaking out as well.

Thoughts? Help?
    14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problems with Stenner

Can you send us a picture of your set up?

I'm not sure what plastic piece means.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

14,000 gallon pool, plaster, Pentair FNS 60 DE, Variable speed pump, Chandler, AZ (Phoenix area)

4. Back To Top    #4

On the top pic it is leaking out of the main one that is clipped to the bottom. Not the lines, but the bottom piece.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are referring to the plastic piece that is held on by the two clips, then I would suspect you have a split in the tube. The tube is the piece in the pump that is pressed by the rollers as the pump turns. If the tube is defective, then it will leak bleach onto the plastic piece on the bottom of the pump which is not fully sealed which then lands on the top of your tank. The tube is a maintenance item that should be replaced on at least a yearly basis. I change mine each six months just for piece of mind.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, thank you. My main concern now is that it's leaking water when the stenner is off & the pool pump is on. Should the water be coming back from the pool pump that way?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by myers2115 View Post
    Yes, thank you. My main concern now is that it's leaking water when the stenner is off & the pool pump is on. Should the water be coming back from the pool pump that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Meyers:

More information here than you posted in my thread. Leaking chlorine from the pump housing indicates a split/hole/crack in the pump tube after the first roller. A split/hole/crack in the pump tube before the first roller would result in a pump suction side leak which would prevent pumping chlorine. You need to change out the pump tube.

I concur with Gary300's comment on the water flowing back to the pump if the pump tube has a split/hole/crack after the last roller.

Please watch a "youtube" video specific to your pump model several times before attempting. While it is not difficult, you can damage the new tube if you are not careful.

Also in looking at your photos, the tube in the pump housing obviously has an issue - the tube is not centered in the housing. While the tube will become off centered with time, your tube appears to be near the bottom of the housing and almost off the rollers.

Gary
    20,000 gal IG Plaster Irregular Shaped Pool (1987), Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar Pump, Hayward Pro-Grid 60 SqFt DE Filter, Hayward Pool-Vac Ultra, TF100, Speed Stir, Stenner Pump & 15 Gallon Tank, Oasis Z5, and LA Spas H.E.E.T Model

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with the thought that the pump tube is split. But the only thing that concerns me is that the 45MPHP10 is a high pressure pump which comes with a check valve. From the photo it appears that the check valve is in place, but if water is flowing back up the line then it is obviously defective. When you replace the pump tube it should keep the pool water from flowing back to the tank from the pool because of the rollers, but the check valve should also be looked at to see if something has it stuck open or be replaced.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I agree with the thought that the pump tube is split. But the only thing that concerns me is that the 45MPHP10 is a high pressure pump which comes with a check valve. From the photo it appears that the check valve is in place, but if water is flowing back up the line then it is obviously defective. When you replace the pump tube it should keep the pool water from flowing back to the tank from the pool because of the rollers, but the check valve should also be looked at to see if something has it stuck open or be replaced.
    Two times I have installed a new check valve without the line attached and both times Some water, not a lot came out of the check valve when the pump was running (3450 RPM). The check valve is actually a flap valve and I do not believe it can seal 100 per cent. I think that the check valve is only really useful if you have a break in the line feeding the check valve to prevent a whole lot of pool water blasting out of the line.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thx everyone. I changed out the pump tube & it worked.

11. Back To Top    #11

Problems with Stenner

I have a variable speed pump. If my chlorinator goes at night while the pump is going at 1000 RPMs, is that enough for the stenner to be effective?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by myers2115 View Post
    I have a variable speed pump. If my chlorinator goes at night while the pump is going at 1000 RPMs, is that enough for the stenner to be effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, even minimal flow should be fine. The Stenner is injecting very small amounts of chlorine at a time.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok thx