chloromatic not working properly

Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I reall need your help. I've had a big problem with my chloromatic ESR 300 . It displayed 60 on output reading two days ago, but both of the led lights were still GREEN.
The setting of the unit is not in winter mode. Based on the user manual, this reading should be around 100. If the reading is below 96, one or two of the led lights will be RED.
I did the backwash, cleaning cell and checking water chemistry. Everything seems OK but the reading still says around 60. How can I get the reading back to 100.
Do any of you have any thoughts on this matter? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

I am not familiar with this product, but it is fairly similar to other SWG. Based on my reading of the manual just now it appears that the output is set to 60% and everything is operating properly based on LEDs being green. The number is changed up or down based on the output percentage selected and there are no problems as long as both lights are green. Is it making chlorine?

Hi Kev,

Just wondering if you made contact with Davey? Whichever way you look at it, your SWG is doing weird things- as I mentioned in your earlier thread I think it may be a sensor issue. The real problem is that if your SWG is really running at 60 you are running your SWG with too low a salt level and this will wreck your cell which sounds like it is not that old (you mentioned that is was still under your warranty). Conversely, you could have enough salt but is not reading at the right level of around 100. pooldv asks a good question- is it generating chlorine? Just another idea- have you made sure the plugs are firmly pushed in at the back of the cell?

Thanks,
I did make contact with Davey but I have not got any reply so far. If it is sensor related issue, I have to call poolman to come over. Anyway I am going to to try something I can do by myself first. Please could you tell me how to check whether it is just generating less chlorine or it is not making chlorine any more.

Kev,

What is the volume of your pool and also what is the run time of your pump- I might be able to help work out how much FC you are adding with your chloromatic assuming that it is working correctly? If you could add your equipment details into your signature by clicking on Settings on the top right corner and then edit signature that might help give us the full picture.

Thanks guys,
I have edited signature as per your instruction. Please see the details for my pool. The run time of my pump is about 7 hours a day. I set the output dial to about 40. The FC level in my pool is usually maintained at 3-5 ppm. Just after checking FC one day, I found that the FC drop a lot to 1-2 ppm. I realized the reading was about 60, not 100 as usually.
By the way, I am sorry for my poor English, because I am not a native English speaker. I am still learning English. Hope it does not put you troubles in understanding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Guys, I have got an update for this......
I've made some tests this weekend. The results showed it seemed my SWG didn't generate any chlorine. There must be something wrong with my SWG. I am not sure which part is failure, cell or control panel? Any suggestions?

FYI.
Test 1, The FC level didn't increase the next day when I turned it up to 60 or higher.
Test 2, I took two water samples for comparison. One is from the inlet and another is from the opposite end of the pool. The FC levels are almost same.
Test 3, I set the output dial to the MAX and run the SWG for one hour, the back of the control panel was just warm. When the unit was working properly it should be very hot.

Sorry Kev- I missed your response.

Now just to get this right- you say that you don't think that that your SWG is generating chlorine but then sort of talk about the FC not increasing and that they are the same. Can you give us your test results and how are you testing- are you pool testing or can you give us the name of your test kit.

If the FC levels are the same in the pool from one day to the next then the SWG is generating chlorine. It would drop 2-4ppm per day if the cell isn't making chlorine.

Sounds like maybe the pool is using up all the chlorine that is being made. Do you have CYA/stabilizer in the pool? How many PPM? More here on the Water Balance for SWGs

If you do have 70-80ppm CYA in the pool, then maybe there is some organic matter or algae in the pool using up your chlorine. To find out turn off the SWG and Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Just wondering if Davey have contacted you back regarding the SWG. It is really hard to tell what is going on with the pool until we can get some proper test results with a proper test kit- in Australia there are a couple of alternatives. Either a Taylor 2006 or a local supplier http://clearchoicelabs.com.au

The test strips and basic test kits are not really not going to cut the mustard!

And just re-read your post and you need to stop using the 3 in 1 chorine -it is a dichlor based product and is adding CYA as you add the chlorine. The problem is you have no idea of what your CYA level is.

You need to use liquid chlorine in the big blue bottles from Bunnings instead to maintain your chlorine level!

Update.....
Today I picked up my chlorinator from Davey local office. After testing they found it was due to thyristor failure. Now it is working perfectly when replaced with new thyristor system. The output reading goes back to 100.

Thanks for all your help and information.
Have good Easter.

That's great Kev! I have also found Davey to be very responsive- I had a problem with my SWG cell still under warranty and they just simply replaced it without fuss- that's why I will always buy their gear which is generally reliable.

How's your pool looking?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.