Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Site Glass

1. Back To Top    #1

Site Glass

As I was doing a backwash this morning and noticed there was no flow through the site glass. Pressure was as normal. It does look as though it was flowing on normal filter. As it is the winter here in Spain and the pool cover has been on for a couple of months now, I only do a backwash about once every two to three weeks instead of the normal once a week during the summer.
    I am English living in Spain since 2006. I think the sunken pool was put in around 2003. The pool I have is 12m x 4m tiled with a Roman end. about 2m at the deep end to about 1.3m at the shallow end. 3 inlet jets at the Roman end and 2 skimmers at the deep end. 72,000 litres with a 1HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Site Glass

Are you sure it is not flowing? It simply may not be dirty. Are you seeing a significant pressure drop after you backwash?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No drop in the pressure it seems same as it always is on backwash, about 12 to 15. Normally when starting a backwash the site glass shows a "swirl" of water and a bit of grit, then after a few seconds it runs clear. But now it looks clear all the time. Made me think the water is not flowing. Jets, skimmers everything seems OK Do you think there is a problem ?
    I am English living in Spain since 2006. I think the sunken pool was put in around 2003. The pool I have is 12m x 4m tiled with a Roman end. about 2m at the deep end to about 1.3m at the shallow end. 3 inlet jets at the Roman end and 2 skimmers at the deep end. 72,000 litres with a 1HP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm kind of curious as to why you are backwashing so often? In actuality, a *slightly* dirty sand filter works better than a pristine clean one.

If your water is clean and clear you may just not be seeing the movement within the sight glass.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

A simple experiment would be to remove the site glass and turn on backwash for a second. Water would gush out if there was flow. I agree, it's probably just your clean filter from so many backwashes.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

A simple experiment would be to remove the site glass and turn on backwash for a second.
    Perhaps better would be to go the exit point of your backwash and witness the flow as you are backwashing. If that sight glass has any age on it, there is a good chance it may be brittle and crack when you try to remove it. Lastly, you may start an air leak as soon as you start removal of that glass and your pump will un-prime if you allow the filter to drain.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School