Pool Build - Round Rock, TX - February 2016

harten74

Silver Supporter
Jan 13, 2016
Round Rock, TX
Yes, yet another pool build in the Austin area.

We are very excited to be breaking ground in the AM! This process started back in January and after spending a fair amount time reading online reviews, BBB complaints, and talking with friends & family about their personal building experiences, we made appointments to meet with four builders.

The first one came up with a pretty decent design but the cost was ridiculous... nearly 2X what the others were asking.

The second builder came out, spent a few minutes talking with me in the back yard about what we were looking for, and then the salesman asked me what our budget was. When I told him, he laughed and said, "We don't waste our time with anything priced under $80K." With that, he turned and walked out of my back yard.

Okay... on to the third. This was a builder we'd had a really solid conversation with several years ago at the Austin Home and Garden Show and were hopeful about the opportunity to work with this builder. He ended up being the cheapest of the bunch but the design was unimaginative and he was very slow, unresponsive, and worst of all, just didn't seem to be the least bit enthusiastic about building a pool.

Finally came number 4. They built a really nice pool for our neighbors across the street last year and based on how their pool turned out, I feared they would be out of our price range. Not only did they come up with the best design of any of the builders, they were the most prepared, organized, professional, responsive, enthusiastic, friendly, and to top it all off, they were only moderately higher than the lowest bid and still within our budget.

So in the end, it was a pretty easy decision. We singed a contract a little over a week ago. HOA and permits were taken care of in just a few days and they dropped by yesterday evening to spray the yard. They said they'd start excavation on Monday but I got a call this afternoon from the Construction Manager to inform me that they'd gotten ahead of schedule on another job and would be able to start first thing in the AM.

Here are some mockups of the design. Colors are not accurate for any of the materials but everything else is just the way we want it.

And here are a couple of shots of the yard on the eve of excavation

:rolleyes: on the PBs..........how do some of them stay in business? At least they made it easy for you.

Nice looking design. Do you want use to look over your equipment list? Did you make sure to get model numbers?

Kim

Congrats! Pool looks great! It's gonna be a fun summer! :paddle:

It can be hard to find good contractors but they are out there. You just have to be diligent in the search and don't settle. Even if it takes forever and you are tired of it! Oh wait, that is me projecting. My bad. :) Good job on doing your PB homework.

Welcome!! We are also in the Austin area. Congrats on starting your pool so fast! Sounds like you have a good builder... Make sure to measure all of your paint to make sure it matches the plan and isn't in the easements when you add coping etc...

Be sure to post your equipment etc... to this thread so people can check things out. I have noticed that is one of the things that get changed a lot once people realize that what the pool builder is including is the bare minimum (not all PB's but most).

:rolleyes: on the PBs..........how do some of them stay in business? At least they made it easy for you.

Nice looking design. Do you want use to look over your equipment list? Did you make sure to get model numbers?

Kim

Well the thing you have to remember is in Austin the pool build business is insane right now. These companies have no problem getting calls. They are forced to come out and see your yard or you'll give them a bad review on Yelp or something like that. There were a couple people who rejected me when I was getting quotes because of where I was located or how much my budget was. Right now while the times are hot they have the opportunity to be picky on what pools they decide to build. When times get rough they cannot live with the bad reviews or it will kill them so it is a fine line they walk.

Thanks for the input/advice, folks! We definitely measured the paint last night and all of it matched the plans. I figured that the bidding process would be a bit of a "Golidlocks" scenario, and it was... we're just thrilled to find a builder that we feel is "just right."

I updated my signature to include the model numbers of all the equipment. The filter is rated at 420 sq. ft. and our pool is coming in at 395 sg. ft. We went with the inline chlorinater but plan to use the TFP method, so it's not gonna get much use other than possibly if we are gone for a while on vacation or something like that.

The Construction Manager and crew were here first thing this AM, at 7AM sharp, and are already digging away! Unfortunately, I have to leave to head down to the coast in a few minutes so I won't be able to watch the process.

Then I definitely recommend a filter 50 to 100% larger, which equates to longer between cartridge cleanings. No downside except for modest upfront cost.

Too late I'm sure but I was going to mention the idea of a standing bench, say 44-48" deep under the sheer descent and next to the deep end bench. We have two standing level benches and love them.

Look forward to seeing your progress! But how can you leave during the dig!!??

The crew has made a ton of progress over the past couple of days. We live on top of solid rock and we'd been told by a number of folks to expect excavation to take 2, possibly 3, weeks but after two full days splitting rock and hauling it off, we are getting pretty close.

Ha! We are fortunate to have REALLY GOOD neighbors, in fact, a big part of the reason the crew is moving so quickly is because one of them was in total agreement with us pulling down a 20' section of fence between our two houses so that the builder could get a bigger excavator into our back yard. I obviously told our neighbors I'd repair any damaged turf or irrigation that occurred in their yard but they didn't bat an eye when I asked them. It is hard to beat great neighbors!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had the same experience with a few pool builders who just won't build anything for less than X dollars. There is a builder literally 1/2 mile from our house that said they won't build anything at our price range. Sounds like bad business practice to me. But oh well. We ended up with a great pool builder who's goal was to build the perfect pool that met our needs and wants at our budget.

Looks great! With all that rock, your pool is going to be very solid. We hit solid limestone too which was expected, so there was a lot of loud hammering going on. I'm sure you're glad to have this part done so quickly!

Why bother with the gunite - just plaster that bad boy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.