Looking for thoughts on my pool build

vilant

Feb 25, 2016
Warminster
Hi all,
I'm in the process of designing and building my own pool. Was doing research when I found this forum and thought I join, there's lots of useful info here. So I would like other members input and advice on what I'm doing. I'm always open to suggestions:) Anyway, I have an existing in ground 13'x29' rectangle with a 3' shallow end and 5' deep. Liner and plumbing is shot, pool walls are out of level, and it was built in 1964 and redone in the early 80's. Time for a makeover:)
We're thinking on the 18'x36' Mountain Loch steel wall kit from pool warehouse.com that will have an 8' deep end. Comes with everything I need minus the plumbing material, which I'll get from Lowe's or plumbing supply. Going to pick up a lot of the accessories separately which I was going to ask advice on.
1- I want to put in an elevated spa that will flow into the pool. I also want to heat, at least the spa, possibly both. Not sure I can just heat the spa only. I'm thinking heat pump or propane for both (I have gas, but I've been reading it's expensive to run and my gas connection is a far run). Electric or propane for spa only. What's the best way to heat?
2- SWG or old school. I've always used a combination of liquid and tablet chlorine. Is SWG really worth the cost of the equipment?
3-Pump. Is a VFD worth the extra cost?
4- Lighting. What's a reliable color changing LED light to use in the pool? Seen some bad reviews for a few.
What's your thoughts?

Thanks, Joe

I say for the spa to have a stand alone spa right by the pool. That way you can heat just the spa as wanted.

What state are you in? I am not sure where Warminster is and too lazy to look it up LOL

It almost sounds like you will be installing a whole new pool really with the extra work of removing the old walls and stuff. This should be fun to watch!

Take some pics of what you have already so we can see what you are working with .

Kim

Where are you located.

In theory you could have a liner pool with a spillover spa. But the reality is they don't work. If you want a liner pool and a good spa get a portable spa and set it by the pool. Depending on location a heat pump will work fine for a pool. But you need gas for a built in spa and usually electric for a portable spa.

We don't recommend tabs for daily sanitation needs. From a cost standpoint the upfront cost of a SWG system is about equal to the cost of liquid chlorine. Because you have to replace the SWG after say 5 years the overall cost profile is about equal. The difference is that with a SWG you are not adding chlorine to the pool regularly.

You mean a variable speed pump? A two speed pump is usually the least expensive in the long run. If you have waterfalls, solar or other features a VSP is very handy.

There are bad reviews for all brands of leds. The vast majority of folks have good experience with Jandy, Pentair and Hayward.

I say for the spa to have a stand alone spa right by the pool. That way you can heat just the spa as wanted.

What state are you in?

It almost sounds like you will be installing a whole new pool really with the extra work of removing the old walls and stuff. This should be fun to watch!

Take some pics of what you have already so we can see what you are working with .

Kim

-Good idea:)
-PA about 30 miles northwest of Philly.
-Absolutely. Hoping to take the walls and coping to the scrap yard.
-I will. Its been covered for over a year :(

Where are you located.

In theory you could have a liner pool with a spillover spa. But the reality is they don't work. If you want a liner pool and a good spa get a portable spa and set it by the pool. Depending on location a heat pump will work fine for a pool. But you need gas for a built in spa and usually electric for a portable spa.

We don't recommend tabs for daily sanitation needs. From a cost standpoint the upfront cost of a SWG system is about equal to the cost of liquid chlorine. Because you have to replace the SWG after say 5 years the overall cost profile is about equal. The difference is that with a SWG you are not adding chlorine to the pool regularly.

You mean a variable speed pump? A two speed pump is usually the least expensive in the long run. If you have waterfalls, solar or other features a VSP is very handy.

There are bad reviews for all brands of leds. The vast majority of folks have good experience with Jandy, Pentair and Hayward.

-PA
- Good to know. Why doesn't the spill over work in linered pools?
- Don't know much about the SWG. I really need to study up.
- Yes. Call them variable frequency drives out of habit. Probably have a water slide put in later but that's it.
-I look into Jandy and Pentair. I've seen too many bad reviews on the Hayward.

Certainly spillover spas on liner pools are quite rare. Although there was one here (a nice looking one in fact) a year or two ago. Maybe someone will remember who it was. But for all I know, maybe it didn't really work after the fact.

But the standalone is a great option, especially for a northern climate, where your pool will need to be closed.

A liner pool contains a vinyl liner which is attached to the pool wall. The spa spillover would have to be designed in such a way that it would fall into the pool.

What would the spa be made of Vinyl liner? Frankly Ive never seen one. Custom fiberglass? Maybe. The level of inventing and custom work just starts to spiral out of control here. For the cost and hassle you could get a gunite pool.

Anyway if you want the best spa experience get a portable.

I didn't think the VSD wasn't worth the extra cost but I've pasted quick info so you can decide along with my actual electricity rates and my pump specs. It's not a lot to run the pump at all so if you're spending $400 more on a pump it can take a long to justify it simply based on the cost. But it's not always apples to apples with single speed vs VS.
As you probably know you'll get your electricity cost on the monthly bill.

In order to calculate the average operating cost for any electrical appliance you can use the following formula:

watts/1000 = kW x hours of operation = kWh x kWh rate = cost
Watts can usually be found on the appliance nameplate. If the nameplate lists amps:
volts x amps = watts

My Pool:
1,840 watts (115 volts X 16 amps per Jandy specs)
1,840 / 1000 = 1.84 kW X 8 hours of operation per day = 14.72 kWh X $.10 (cost/kWh) = $1.472 per day to run pool pump ($44.16 / month & $185.47 for summer of 2016 (May 14 – September 17).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.