Time to replace pool cleaner.

arin

Sep 21, 2013
Lincoln, Ca.
Looking for opinions on what's the best option for a new pressure side pool cleaner. My previous broken cleaner was a Polaris 360 which didn't require a booster pump. I'm looking for suggestions on similar cleaner that doesn't require a booster pump.

Looking for opinions on what's the best option for a new pressure side pool cleaner. My previous broken cleaner was a Polaris 360 which didn't require a booster pump. I'm looking for suggestions on similar cleaner that doesn't require a booster pump.
I really like my robot cleaner. I think the model number is Polaris 9350. Doesn't need the pump running to make it work either.

I suddenly find myself in the market for a new pool cleaner. My old Polaris 360 stopped working and the body is literally coming apart. Doesn't make sense to repair at this point. The cleaner came with the house, so I have only a vague idea how old it is. We've been in this house 6 years. I'm guesstimating that cleaner is at least 10 years old - maybe older. I don't think it was the original cleaner as I found an old vacuum head (the kind that attaches to a tele-pole) in the attic when we moved in (house is 24 years old). Another factor is the previous owner followed the pool store method of maintenance (heavy user of trichlor pucks) resulting in sky-high CYA, along with low pH and TA and they left the cleaner in the pool 24/7 while I have it in the pool only when it is in-use. Cleaner may have lasted even longer if previous owner managed water chemistry properly and removed it from the pool during winter.

I've narrowed it down to another 360 or a Dolphin robot. I'm still researching, but I'm currently leaning towards another 360 based on price and performance/longevity of my old 360 and given the fact that my pool is set up for a booster-less cleaner. However, if my pool was not set up for a booster-less cleaner like a 360, it would change the entire situation and make it a no-brainer to go with the robot since that would avoid the use of a booster pump and the associated plumbing which adds expense by having another electrical hog running and is something else that would eventually need repair/replacement.

Some Pros/Cons applicable to my specific situation (i.e., being set up for booster-less cleaner):

360 Pros
  • Lower initial cost vs robot
  • Long service life
  • Since cleaner runs off of the main pump, there is no additional cost to run it - simply open the cleaner valve when you want to use the cleaner
  • Light weight - easy to remove from the pool
  • Cleans the steps

360 Cons
  • Hoses/fittings will eventually need replacing and they need to be cut to the proper length in order for the cleaner to work properly
  • Need to make initial adjustments when you first get it so it stays in the proper position when cleaning
  • Backup valve will need to be replaced at some point
  • Doesn't have GPS-like intelligence as do the robots I'm looking at. Cleaner moves in a more random fashion (but old one rarely left any "missed-spots")

Robot Pros (looking at two Dolphin models - Nautilus & Triton)
  • Plug-and-Play...simply drop it in and turn it on. Intelligent programming automatically figures out how to best clean your pool.
  • No hoses to wear out, tangle, or replace
  • Some are set up for remotes (Triton) where you can override programmability and direct robot with joystick to clean a specific area quickly.
  • Runs independently of the pool pump

Robot Cons
  • More expensive - about $200- $400 more than a 360, depending on robot model.
  • Heavier weight - more difficult to remove from the pool than a 360
  • Has difficulty reaching/cleaning pool steps & ledges (based on reviews)
  • Service life is suspect. I don't have first-hand experience, but majority of reviews/posts I have read indicate an average service life of about 5 years. Would hope for at least 10 given what they cost. Maybe someone will chime in with more input on this point.

---Update----
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 360. Going with what has worked well for my pool, not to mention that I have quite a few spare parts (hoses, connectors, swivels, floats, etc.). However, every pool is different, so you should evaluate what works best for your specific setup and, for many of you, that may be a robot. I'm also considering getting a manual vac (like a Pool Blaster Battery Operated type) to use as a backup and for cleaning the spa. The past few days have made it apparent as to how important it is to have an operable pool vac, especially at this time of year since my pool ostensibly has a hidden magnet that attracts all tree blooms/leaves within a 250-mile radius, despite having no trees in my back yard!

New 360 just arrived! Decided to hook it up to the existing hose and let 'er go out-of-the-box "as-is" without fiddling with anything and see how it worked. Worked like a champ.

arin: If you are still in the market...As 360 user yourself, note that a new 360 comes with 31-feet of feed hose (including swivel connectors), a single chamber filter bag & collar, a backup valve, universal wall fitting & quick-connect, and filter screen - in addition to the cleaner. Many of these items will eventually need to be replaced, so you can save any parts you currently don't need for later repairs/replacement. I hooked the new cleaner up to the existing hose and other parts, figuring why fix anything that isn't broken, and it worked great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.