Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to replace pool cleaner.

1. Back To Top    #1

Time to replace pool cleaner.

Looking for opinions on what's the best option for a new pressure side pool cleaner. My previous broken cleaner was a Polaris 360 which didn't require a booster pump. I'm looking for suggestions on similar cleaner that doesn't require a booster pump.
    12,500 Gallon PebbleFina Pool, Jandy CV#460 Filter, Jandy 1.5HP Variable Speed Pump, Jandy PLC1400,Aqualink RS, Clear O3 Ozone, Jandy Pro Series Color LED, 300 Sq.Ft. Heliocoil Solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to replace pool cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by arin View Post
    Looking for opinions on what's the best option for a new pressure side pool cleaner. My previous broken cleaner was a Polaris 360 which didn't require a booster pump. I'm looking for suggestions on similar cleaner that doesn't require a booster pump.
    I really like my robot cleaner. I think the model number is Polaris 9350. Doesn't need the pump running to make it work either.
    Pool newbie - In ground 13.5k gallon gunite pool & spa. All Jandy equipment - 2.0HP VS pump, iAqualink touch controller, Jxi heater, & AquaPure salt cell system, CL 580 cartridge filter, & 1.0HP water feature pump. SAVI LED lights.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I think you will find very few options for a pressure side non-booster cleaner. a google search might reveal something.

Consider a robot as a really good alternative.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I wanted to answer this before, but that was my suggestion as well. You'll never regret going with a robot.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 on a good robot
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

I suddenly find myself in the market for a new pool cleaner. My old Polaris 360 stopped working and the body is literally coming apart. Doesn't make sense to repair at this point. The cleaner came with the house, so I have only a vague idea how old it is. We've been in this house 6 years. I'm guesstimating that cleaner is at least 10 years old - maybe older. I don't think it was the original cleaner as I found an old vacuum head (the kind that attaches to a tele-pole) in the attic when we moved in (house is 24 years old). Another factor is the previous owner followed the pool store method of maintenance (heavy user of trichlor pucks) resulting in sky-high CYA, along with low pH and TA and they left the cleaner in the pool 24/7 while I have it in the pool only when it is in-use. Cleaner may have lasted even longer if previous owner managed water chemistry properly and removed it from the pool during winter.

I've narrowed it down to another 360 or a Dolphin robot. I'm still researching, but I'm currently leaning towards another 360 based on price and performance/longevity of my old 360 and given the fact that my pool is set up for a booster-less cleaner. However, if my pool was not set up for a booster-less cleaner like a 360, it would change the entire situation and make it a no-brainer to go with the robot since that would avoid the use of a booster pump and the associated plumbing which adds expense by having another electrical hog running and is something else that would eventually need repair/replacement.

Some Pros/Cons applicable to my specific situation (i.e., being set up for booster-less cleaner):

360 Pros
    • Lower initial cost vs robot
    • Long service life
    • Since cleaner runs off of the main pump, there is no additional cost to run it - simply open the cleaner valve when you want to use the cleaner
    • Light weight - easy to remove from the pool
    • Cleans the steps

360 Cons
    • Hoses/fittings will eventually need replacing and they need to be cut to the proper length in order for the cleaner to work properly
    • Need to make initial adjustments when you first get it so it stays in the proper position when cleaning
    • Backup valve will need to be replaced at some point
    • Doesn't have GPS-like intelligence as do the robots I'm looking at. Cleaner moves in a more random fashion (but old one rarely left any "missed-spots")

Robot Pros (looking at two Dolphin models - Nautilus & Triton)
    • Plug-and-Play...simply drop it in and turn it on. Intelligent programming automatically figures out how to best clean your pool.
    • No hoses to wear out, tangle, or replace
    • Some are set up for remotes (Triton) where you can override programmability and direct robot with joystick to clean a specific area quickly.
    • Runs independently of the pool pump

Robot Cons
    • More expensive - about $200- $400 more than a 360, depending on robot model.
    • Heavier weight - more difficult to remove from the pool than a 360
    • Has difficulty reaching/cleaning pool steps & ledges (based on reviews)
    • Service life is suspect. I don't have first-hand experience, but majority of reviews/posts I have read indicate an average service life of about 5 years. Would hope for at least 10 given what they cost. Maybe someone will chime in with more input on this point.

---Update----
    Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new 360. Going with what has worked well for my pool, not to mention that I have quite a few spare parts (hoses, connectors, swivels, floats, etc.). However, every pool is different, so you should evaluate what works best for your specific setup and, for many of you, that may be a robot. I'm also considering getting a manual vac (like a Pool Blaster Battery Operated type) to use as a backup and for cleaning the spa. The past few days have made it apparent as to how important it is to have an operable pool vac, especially at this time of year since my pool ostensibly has a hidden magnet that attracts all tree blooms/leaves within a 250-mile radius, despite having no trees in my back yard!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

New 360 just arrived! Decided to hook it up to the existing hose and let 'er go out-of-the-box "as-is" without fiddling with anything and see how it worked. Worked like a champ.

arin: If you are still in the market...As 360 user yourself, note that a new 360 comes with 31-feet of feed hose (including swivel connectors), a single chamber filter bag & collar, a backup valve, universal wall fitting & quick-connect, and filter screen - in addition to the cleaner. Many of these items will eventually need to be replaced, so you can save any parts you currently don't need for later repairs/replacement. I hooked the new cleaner up to the existing hose and other parts, figuring why fix anything that isn't broken, and it worked great.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.