Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Variable speed pump and settings

1. Back To Top    #1

Variable speed pump and settings

Original one speed motor was starting its end of life. It was tripping the breaker off the timer and sounded like a bunch of hamsters were sacrificed to the pool gods every time it did start.

So I started a long process of replacing the pump to a variable speed A.O. Smith 2.7 HP variable speed pool pump motor Round Flange from V-Green.

My question is that I know have a digital timer in which I can set 3 different configurations. I was looking for some advice on these settings. My pool information should be in my signature.

Is there a point to running the pool at 10% energy? am I getting anything from that? There is a primer setting. How long to run the primer setting or should I just use the default?

Lastly, I will need to SLAM my pool here soon. Since there is no just "on button" and I am supposed to run the pump continuously should I just set the parameters for all day? I am assuming yes. However, do I need to have it using 100% of the pump or can I run it the entire time at like 50%?

22K inground pool free form. Fiberglass (I think). sand filter Hayword Pro Series, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Variable speed pump and settings

During the SLAM it should run 24x7, 30-50% is more than fine, maybe 1500-1800 rpm.

Here is what I do, it took an amount of trial and error to get to these points.
    Normal running, skimming, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG is at 1100 rpm, uses 150 watts
    Solar panels run at 1950 rpm uses 550 or 600 watts
    Brushing with all suction to main drain at 2500 rpm
    I also use either 1950 or 2500 to run the waterfall with about a third to half the flow to the waterfall and the rest to pool returns. This is for ambiance only otherwise waterfall is off at all times.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Variable speed pump and settings

Pooldv,

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks, I'll slam at the %50% and see how that goes!
    22K inground pool free form. Fiberglass (I think). sand filter Hayword Pro Series, TF-100 Test Kit.