Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Marine shrink wrap as pool cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Marine shrink wrap as pool cover

I was just looking at the boats being shrink wrapped for winter. Can I do that to my above ground pool for winter? I will use the blue food grade barrel instead of pillow. Or is the compression from shrinking too strong for pool?
    30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Marine shrink wrap as pool cover

Interesting thought but I have no idea how they get that stuff to work on something that large. Can it be applied for pool use? I imagine if you get it shrunk on there, the pool would take it.

Anyone around here ever shrink wrap a boat?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Never shrink wrapped a pool or a boat!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

On boats they apply the film and then use a big, gas heat gun to heat shrink the film. So, there is some control over how much heat is applied and how much tension the film gets. It could be a whole new industry.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I just want to know if it's possible. I do not want to use the pillow because it might lost the air

30'x54" Quest Above Ground Round Pool , About 21,000 Gallons , Hayward Perflex EC50 D.E. Filter System 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump , TF-100 Test Kit , Two Hayward Main Drains on the Bottom , Hayward CL200 In-Line Above-Ground Chlorinator.
    77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

6. Back To Top    #6

On boats there is usually a high point that creates the tension and slope necessary to keep the weight of snow from being a problem, I think?
    28 ft round ABG with ~6ft deep end, approx. 20,000 gal, 2 spd 2 HP pump, sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I suspect that boat wrap stuff is not cheap
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

There is why I want to use the blue barrel. Also 32ft x 100ft marine shrink wrap is about $250 this you can cut to 3 pieces so it should last 3 seasons.

77"x77"x21.5" Hot Tub

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pysiek View Post
    I just want to know if it's possible. I do not want to use the pillow because it might lost the air

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    I haven't used a pillow in several years and never had an issue. My pool freezes solid.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Would you post a pic of a shrink wrapped boat? Sounds interesting to do it for a pool. How would you wrap it around the pool? Wouldn't the ends need to meet or would it stick to the deck? What kind of pool are you referring to - AG or IG?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I see you have an above ground pool so that makes more sense.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

11. Back To Top    #11

Shrink Wrapping a boat - YouTube a boat being shrink wrapped

Shrink Wrap an RV for Storage - YouTube, a RV being shrink wrapped.

I have no idea where to get the shrink wrap, call your local boating store, Google is your best friend as well.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.