Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clamp Band; Pentair 4000 series

1. Back To Top    #1

Clamp Band; Pentair 4000 series

I am new to TFP and to pools. Moved from Chicago to a home with a pool with and older system.

The clamp/band knob and T-bolt is stripped. Is there a way to replace both (replacing
    parts and welding)? The price for a new clamp band is very high. Any ideas that any members have used?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clamp Band; Pentair 4000 series

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    You're right on ! I've seen these but was looking to replace only the T-bolt and Knob (both stripped), then, have
    someone weld (Mig or Tig) the T-bolt bracket back together. The T-bolt and knob would cost about $40.00, and welding would cost another $20. (maybe ).
    Didn't know if anyone out there had tried to repair one of the clamp bands.

I'm just trying to save save save !!!!!

Thanks for the reply,
    Bruce

4. Back To Top    #4

Bfine,

I'm in the same situation with an old Hayward DE Filter. I'm hoping this will be my fix.
    5/16-18 bolt and a sort of nut found in the hardware cabinets at HD. The bolt is 4" long but not 100% sure if it is long enough. I didn't measure the one on the clamp prior to purchasing. Obviously, I'm going to cut off the hex head on this setup and use a washer and nut to button it all up.
    Plus Red Loc-tite at the nut for good measures.

20160225_221415.jpg
    ~40k gallons 40'x20' - 10'deep end 3' shallow end
    Hayward D.E. Filter (DE4820)
    Pentair Master-Temp 400K
    Filter Pump Hayward Supper II Pump SP3020

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by aespinoza101 View Post
    Bfine,

I'm in the same situation with an old Hayward DE Filter. I'm hoping this will be my fix.
    5/16-18 bolt and a sort of nut found in the hardware cabinets at HD. The bolt is 4" long but not 100% sure if it is long enough. I didn't measure the one on the clamp prior to purchasing. Obviously, I'm going to cut off the hex head on this setup and use a washer and nut to button it all up.

20160225_221415.jpg
    Exactly. That round thing is called a barrel nut. You can also buy a piece of All-thread instead of a bolt and cut it to length.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by aespinoza101 View Post
    Bfine,

20160225_221415.jpg
    If you use red loctite 271 you will have trouble ever getting the nut off again. The red stuff is permanent and would require a torch to get the nut off. Go with blue loctite 242 and you will be able to get the nut off with a wrench.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Your correct about the red loc-time being permanent. What I meant was loc-tite on the barrel nut to lock in the stud on that end.
    ~40k gallons 40'x20' - 10'deep end 3' shallow end
    Hayward D.E. Filter (DE4820)
    Pentair Master-Temp 400K
    Filter Pump Hayward Supper II Pump SP3020