Coping Shorter Than Bond Beam

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
I was hoping someone could help me with a little issue I'm having regarding the selection coping. To make a long story not as long, I am considering using a 2" x 10" x 24" quartzite coping. The bond beam will be 12" and the coping will overhang on the pool side by about 1". So this leaves 3" of bond beam not covered by the coping. We will have concrete decking up to the coping. So, my concern is the 3" of bond beam not covered by the coping. Is it ok to pour the concrete decking over this portion? The concrete would only be about 2" thick (due to the 2" thick coping) in the 3" leading up to the coping above the bond beam. Is there a recommended method for doing this to minimize the chance of cracking the deck in this 2" x 3" cross sectional area?

I have to think this is done all the time, especially with brick coping. My builder is confident there will not be any issues, but hasn't had a chance to really explain it to me yet.

I don't have an after picture.. but you can see in this before picture there was about ~1" of the bond above the compacted road base.

The after is a smooth edge from the back of the coping straight down to the compacted road base.

2BA1561A-9A68-4693-A9CE-B87C17B2E0E5_zpsgtfnk6zz.jpg

They chipped on the back of my bond beam too, but the patio took care of it. However on one part we don't have patio, but I'm hoping to bring up river rock to cover that bond beam.

Also, you might consider MSI's 2x12x24 quartzite coping as I think the additional 2" will look better. Mine shipped out of California- was about $11/sq ft plus shipping. I also did the 6x6 quartzite tile from them. It was really cheap - $4/sq ft.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Has the pool's unite been shot yet? If not, let the crew know your intentions with the coping and they will notch it for you when its still workable.

No. We haven't even dug yet, so I'll do what you recommend. Thanks!

They chipped on the back of my bond beam too, but the patio took care of it. However on one part we don't have patio, but I'm hoping to bring up river rock to cover that bond beam.

Also, you might consider MSI's 2x12x24 quartzite coping as I think the additional 2" will look better. Mine shipped out of California- was about $11/sq ft plus shipping. I also did the 6x6 quartzite tile from them. It was really cheap - $4/sq ft.

Well, since you asked...finding the quartzite coping I want has been a real challenge to say the least! Basically, I want the 2x12x24 in a "Golden White" (MSI) or "Mountain Peak" (East/West) color, but with one edge chiseled. Our local supplier is quoting me 8 weeks for the Golden White, but only in a bull nose edge. Chiseling would have to be done by the builder (extra expense). The Mountain Peak is not made in "pool coping". The closest thing they have are "wall caps", which have both edges chiseled. This means that about 2" will need to be cut off in order to use it as coping. The Mountain Peak stone is also a lot more expensive ($37 per 2x12x24 piece), BUT delivery would be 2-3 weeks, which works with my schedule. 8 weeks does not (thanks China!). So, that's where the 10" deep coping comes from. It's basically my only option besides waiting an extra 5 weeks or getting the 2x16x24 Mountain Peak pieces, which I just can't swallow at $50 a piece!

Gotcha. I did the bullnose golden white. I'm guessing this is what you're thinking: Pool Copings - Caps - Treads - Golden White Caps Quartzite- Landscape

You might just call the guy at tilesbay.com and see what his timeline looks like. I kept getting quoted various dates but it ended up being a lot quicker. You can also call an MSI rep at your closest distribution center (mine was Houston) - just say you're a builder.

Yes, that's basically what I would need, since they don't make the coping with the chiseled edge. This would still leave me at 10" for the coping after I lop off the other chiseled edge. And I don't see that they offer a 16" size, which I'll need for some steps, so that's not good. Might be able to make the 12" work though. I'll try calling those people you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need advice on this topic...specifically if it's necessary to cut down the bond beam in order to keep a consistent concrete thickness up to the coping. I had a patio guy out today who says he does 50% of the pools for the largest pool builder in Austin and also listed off several other reputable pool builders. I really like this guy, except he said that he does not cut down the bond beam. He said he does not want to mess with the integrity of the pool and has never had an issue. He is a reputable tier1 contractor.

He is correct, don't cut the bond beam. Leaving a couple of inches for the deck to overlap the bond beam is common practice. There are pics of minel in the link in my sig.

Thanks. There seem to be different methods...some patio guys say use deck dowels (rebar) to tie the patio and pool together and others say no. It seems some chip down the bond beam and others don't. Conceptually although the concrete is thinner for 1.5-2" over the coping gap on the bond beam, you have concrete resting on a nice gunite ledge. This seems like it would be solid.
He is correct, don't cut the bond beam. Leaving a couple of inches for the deck to overlap the bond beam is common practice. There are pics of minel in the link in my sig.

Hello pooldv, I have a question about the coping being shorter than the beam by 3 inches. can concrete deck overlap the gunite? I have the foam decko seal expansion joint going behind the coping brick.

Hello pooldv, I have a question about the coping being shorter than the beam by 3 inches. can concrete deck overlap the gunite? I have the foam decko seal expansion joint going behind the coping brick.
pooldv isn't active around here any longer

Take a look at the precast coping section:

You need more than just the joint between the deck and coping. We see a lot of bond beam failures where this intersection wasn't correctly done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.