Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair IC40 Red Flow Light

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair IC40 Red Flow Light

Need some help with my IC40. It's brand new and the red flow light stays lit. What's the optimum RPMS I should have my pump set at to get the light to go green? I originally had the pump set to 1200 rpms, then bumped it up to 1300, now 1400. Red Flow Light stays on. How much flow does the IC40 need?
    Owner/ Builder.
    38' x 22' Free Form w/Reef Step, 4 Sheer Descents, 9' Spa with Spillway. 12" R.B.B. 2,100 Sqft concrete deck. Pre-cast concrete coping.
    Pentair Equipment: Intelliflo VS Pump (011018), Whisperflo 1.5 HP, Whisperflo 2 HP. Master Temp HD Heater 400K BTU, Quad 80, IC40 Salt System, Easytouch, Intellibrite 5G Lights.

2. Back To Top    #2

Pentair IC40 Red Flow Light

Sorry for the obvious question but - is it installed in the right direction? Pentair SWGs have a specific orientation relative to flow.

Also, just keep increasing your RPMs until the flow light turns green. It all depends on your plumbing and head loss. My IC40 shuts down if my pump speed is lower than 1600RPM.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pentair IC40 Red Flow Light

Matt,
    Yes it's plumbed in the right direction. I will keep adjusting the rpms.

Thanks
    Owner/ Builder.
    38' x 22' Free Form w/Reef Step, 4 Sheer Descents, 9' Spa with Spillway. 12" R.B.B. 2,100 Sqft concrete deck. Pre-cast concrete coping.
    Pentair Equipment: Intelliflo VS Pump (011018), Whisperflo 1.5 HP, Whisperflo 2 HP. Master Temp HD Heater 400K BTU, Quad 80, IC40 Salt System, Easytouch, Intellibrite 5G Lights.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The heaters are surprisingly restrictive and could be greatly effecting the flow.

How much has your filter pressure risen? Being that the plaster is new and you indicated that you had a good amount of dust, it could very well be time to break the filter down.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

5. Back To Top    #5

Brian,

Pressure hasn't risen much at all, maybe 1 psi. Was thinking about cleaning filter this weekend since it's been about 45 days since start up. Good idea?
    Owner/ Builder.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Not if its only a 1 PSI increase. You'd be wasting your time.

I don't recall the style of check valves you have but some types can also be pretty restrictive. Have you found a speed that makes the cell happy?
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

What is your water temp? In the 60s it might not act right, giving false flow errors and low salt errors. I don't turn mine on until the water above 70.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Temperature of the water will not have anything to do with the flow light. On the IC-40, there is a little tab that looks like a beer tab (im showing my age) in the middle of the cell that has to touch another contact to complete the circuit. The water has to be flowing fast enough to move that tab far enough to complete the circuit.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

If you are still getting plaster dust coming up when you brush, you should bump the pump up to at least 1750-1800 till you get the dust out. It's kind of important to get it out in a timely fashion.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by bk406 View Post
    Temperature of the water will not have anything to do with the flow light. On the IC-40, there is a little tab that looks like a beer tab (im showing my age) in the middle of the cell that has to touch another contact to complete the circuit. The water has to be flowing fast enough to move that tab far enough to complete the circuit.
    It's actually a little magnet on the end of the strip that has to come close enough to the body of the unit to close a magnetic reed switch....but I like the "beer tab" description

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    It's actually a little magnet on the end of the strip that has to come close enough to the body of the unit to close a magnetic reed switch....but I like the "beer tab" description

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    I figured the beer tab analogy would work
    I actually had to bend the magnet on mine a little at one point. I get ~20 GPM on low speed with my 2 speed Pentair. But, the tab still wouldnt close the circuit. A nice pentair rep told me (without really saying it, if you catch my drift) to bend it a little. Worked like a charm.

If I remember right, the rep said something on the order of "you know that tab has a little give in it and a small pair of needle nose pliers work very well"
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

12. Back To Top    #12

I played around with the settings on my pump this afternoon. It looks like the speed at which the red light turns green is 1780 rpms. I will leave it there for now. I was running the pump for 4.5 hours every day at 1300 rpms, since I am now running at a higher rpm can I reduce the amount of time I run the pump?
    Owner/ Builder.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Dparnell View Post
    I played around with the settings on my pump this afternoon. It looks like the speed at which the red light turns green is 1780 rpms. I will leave it there for now. I was running the pump for 4.5 hours every day at 1300 rpms, since I am now running at a higher rpm can I reduce the amount of time I run the pump?
    You're only producing chlorine at 1780RPM. Therefore you need to run your pump for as long as it takes to keep your water properly chlorinated.

Matt

14. Back To Top    #14

Matt,

Considering this is a new pool how do you figure out the pump run time? I had Chlorine pucks in the pool the first month, then removed the pucks and hooked up the SWG.
    Owner/ Builder.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Dparnell View Post
    Matt,

Considering this is a new pool how do you figure out the pump run time? I had Chlorine pucks in the pool the first month, then removed the pucks and hooked up the SWG.
    See this article in PoolSchool - Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

It's going to be trial & error. You'll need to measure FC at least once per day. Set your run time to 8 hours and your SWG to 50% output. See what your FC is at the start and end of the cycle. Increase either the SWG output or pump run time to increase FC.

Your cell produces 1.4lbs of chlorine gas per 24 hour period (optimally). Pump speed generally doesn't effect that (unless it's too low). You can use PoolMath to figure out what that is in FC per day and get a starting point.

Matt

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank you
    Owner/ Builder.