water level reached top of liner

iam4iam

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2012
Johnson City, TN
I don't cover my pool in the winter, nor do I drain it. This winter, for the first time, the water level has reached the top of the liner. I am assuming that because the level is right at the top of the liner, that it has already overflowed behind the pool wall some. Is this a serious enough problem that I should drain or can I just let nature run its course? (My only means is to siphen since I have the skimmer closed off and empty for the winter and I don't own a portable pump.)

No big deal. Water is in the ground anyway. Starting a siphon is the easy way to lower the water. Anchor the pool endo the hose where you want the water line and it will stop when it gets there.

As a pool owner with ground water issues, I would recommend only draining just a tad. You want to keep the inside pool pressure pushing against the outer groundwater until the groundwater recedes. If you drain too much, the out-of-pool groundwater pressure may make things worse.

dw, I'm not sure JohnT is on-line at the moment, so I'll try to interpret and he can correct me if I'm wrong. But once the siphoning is started by filling the hose and dropping the outside end to begin draining outside the pool, the end of the hose remaining IN the pool is anchored - anchored somewhere inside the pool at a desired level to where once the water drops to that hose-end opening, it will automatically catch air and stop draining/siphoning. That way you don't siphon more water than what is needed. I hope that's about right.

Disclaimer - If I'm wrong, it was not me that typed this but actually one of my teenage boys playing a prank and impersonating me. :)

dw, I'm not sure JohnT is on-line at the moment, so I'll try to interpret and he can correct me if I'm wrong. But once the siphoning is started by filling the hose and dropping the outside end to begin draining outside the pool, the end of the hose remaining IN the pool is anchored - anchored somewhere inside the pool at a desired level to where once the water drops to that hose-end opening, it will automatically catch air and stop draining/siphoning. That way you don't siphon more water than what is needed. I hope that's about right.

Disclaimer - If I'm wrong, it was not me that typed this but actually one of my teenage boys playing a prank and impersonating me. :)

Exactly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.