Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about mortar

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Frisco, TX

Question about mortar

We are currently building our first pool for a client. So far, everything is going well. (We are a home remodeling company, trying to branch out into the pool business)

Our client is requesting that we use a water-proof/ stain-proof mortar for the coping. Is there such thing?

2. Back To Top    #2
    New York

Re: Question about mortar

Hi. It is water proof (just Portland cement & sand mixture) but I suppose you could add a sealer to the mix (along with coloring). Since it's porus like concrete not truly water proof but I assume they know that. Since it's for a client I would cover myself by letting them know it's stain resistant when sealed. Someone will drop a blob of suntan lotion on it and blame you when it inevitably stains. If you add sealer make sure it's ok for outside. I don't know about this so check. I'd hate for it to discolor in the sun.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LEG lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter)