Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH bounce...new startup

1. Back To Top    #1

pH bounce...new startup

Just plastered with mini pebble. Filled 2 days ago and just added some acid. pH shows at least 8. CH is 90. ALK is 110. When performing the acid demand test, one drop will send the test sample down below 7. I've never seen this before in a stable pool. I'm running the filter and brushing twice daily. Pool contractor added some chlorine...I believe it's at about 3. I've never re-done a pool before so I don't know if I should be chasing pH or let it go for a few days at a time.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH bounce...new startup

pH should always be watched, so it's good you are keeping a close eye on it. Here's a good reference for new plaster: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster. But we always emphasize to follow what your builder/contractor recommends so that you don't void any work on their end. Once they give you the green light to manage on your own, it's TFP all the way.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I've read that reference. None of it matches what my builder did exactly. I'm kinda wingin' this on my own. And I'm not getting any dust at all....strange I thought.

4. Back To Top    #4

fishing our way is science based and daily living tested BUT your PB holds the warranty card so keep that in mind.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Much of the advice (chemically) provided by builders leaves us scratching our heads. You would think they should know some of this - even the basics, but it's clear many don't. Nonetheless, make sure you follow their warranty recommendations. If you feel strongly about something (i.e. high pH or low FC) and wish to discuss it with them, by all means do that. Don't throw TFP in their face because many of them get defensive right away, but be armed with the knowledge you've learned here to ask the right questions so you can make the best decision for your pool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Seems there might be a reagent issue. Maybe age. I tested again and the sample didn't swing as wildly. I'll report back when (if) I nail this down.

7. Back To Top    #7

Figured it out, I think. TA had drifted lower than I thought. Once back up the acid demand test functioned normally.

8. Back To Top    #8

Copy that. If numbers start to get weird on you later, let us know and we'll re-address. Have a nice day.