Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spring is coming, need to finalize some decisions... Pool color first!

1. Back To Top    #1

Spring is coming, need to finalize some decisions... Pool color first!

Hi!
    We are in the process of building our first pool. Definitely wanting a natural-type feel. Curious if any of you have gone with "black bottom" pool colors. We are using Wet Edge, and can't decide between Prism Matrix Glossy Black and Satin Matrix Midnight Sea. I want a dark pool, but I'm afraid going too dark will make it look murky and maybe a little scary. 😂
    Anyone willing to share some pics?

Thanks in advance!
    Christine
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spring is coming, need to finalize some decisions... Pool color first!

We had one pool build indigo blue that turned out real nice. I cannot remember her user name. You might be able to find it doing a search in the search box at the top of the page.

As with any other plaster but ESPECIALLY with the darker colors the installers are what make the difference. A darker plaster may streak more if care is not used. Just something to think about.

I think it would be very pretty and help warm the water.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Also some city codes won't allow darker pools. It has to pass the quarter test - able to see a quarter in the deepest part of the pool.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

We went with a black bottom and it is great, we have no regrets. It is not murky, scary or any of the other ominous things people fear about black bottomed pools. I don't have any problem seeing the snakes that get in our pool. And I can easily see the screw heads in the main drain cover. It is a TFPC pool after all! It does make it very natural and interesting because darker bottom pools have a more reflective surface so the color varies a lot more depending the clouds, sky, etc. Lots of pics in my build thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you! Great pics!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just want to say that the rock face on your spa is gorgeous!!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

We went with St. Martin Shade by QuartzScapes. My wife and I debated about it for awhile. I wanted Anvil and she wanted St. Marin Shade. She won in the end and I'm actually glad she did because the color is really nice. I think Anvil would have been way too dark, especially when it is overcast or in evenings. Here's a pic from last weekend... Our pool was filled last week and we still have landscaping to do so look over that part.