Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Painting Thermoplastic steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Painting Thermoplastic steps

My pool has white Pacific thermoplastic steps and Swim n' Lounge. Both frequently get stained and are a pain to clean. In addition, we're about to replace our liner, and are planning on going with a much darker liner.

This has gotten my wife asking if we could paint the steps, and use a darker color. I am worried about eventual peeling.

Does anyone here have experience painting thermoplastic steps in a pool? Did it work out well?

What paints work well, if any? Doheny's lists Acrylic, Epoxy and Rubber based paints.

Glen
    Last edited by glenwill; 06-10-2017 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Fix typo
    26,000 gal, IG, vinyl, DE Pentair FNS Plus36, Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG , Installed 2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Painting Thermoplastic steps

Someone asked a similar question recently, and if I recall correctly, the suggestion was made about using something suitable for painting fiberglass boats. That may be somewhere to start, but hopefully someone else will chime in with some more specific help.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jamie. I did a search, and found posts about painting gunite and concrete, but not Thermoplastic. I'll look again.

Hopefully someone has done this, and even better, is was happy with the results.
    26,000 gal, IG, vinyl, DE Pentair FNS Plus36, Hayward SP2302VSP Max-Flo VS Pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 SWG , Installed 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not familiar with anyone painting their stairs. Are you sure they are plastic? They might be fiberglass. Look in to getting a liner that is installed over your steps. I don't know if liner over stairs can be done retroactively but I've seen quite a few new pools installed with the liner over the stairs and it is nice.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I am not familiar with anyone painting their stairs. Are you sure they are plastic? They might be fiberglass. Look in to getting a liner that is installed over your steps. I don't know if liner over stairs can be done retroactively but I've seen quite a few new pools installed with the liner over the stairs and it is nice.
    Thanks. They are definitely pastic. These are my steps:
    Thermoplastic - Pacific Pools | In Ground Pools

I don't think they could be converted to liner overlay. They have a textured pattern in the step treads.

Glen

6. Back To Top    #6

You mentioned staining...what type of stains? I have similar steps which stain easily due to an iron problem. Once I treat the iron, steps look brand new.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Look for ecofinish thermal plastic. You should have someone fairly close to you that does it.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

8. Back To Top    #8

People do it all the time on boats around here. We use copper-based paints for the hull below the water -- which is absolutely not environmentally friendly or suitable for pools!! And people use fiberglass paints for the hulls above the waterline all the time. Check out marine suppliers like Defender or West Marine.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the help. It looks like a 2-part epoxy would be the best bet. Just have to decide if I want to take the chance on it.

10. Back To Top    #10

This is what I have used on my boat as well as on a friend's pool steps. It works great. Pettit Easypoxy Topside Marine Paint.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

11. Back To Top    #11

Were you successful in finding a paint for your steps?

12. Back To Top    #12

No, I have not done it yet. We were just talking about it again last weekend, but haven't decided whether to try it.