Taylor R-0004 pH Indicator Solution

Jul 13, 2015
Clearwater, FL
Does the R-0004 solution go bad? As I was running low on this, I noticed that the color of my pH tests was tending toward orange rather than red. At a certain point, determining a pH level became pretty much impossible. By then I had gotten a new bottle of the solution, and it performed as expected.

If the R-0004 phenol red goes bad it will turn towards more of a purple or yellow color.

How old was the reagent and dos you store it properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Taylor has started putting expiration dates on their reagent bottles. If your bottle was purchased in the last six months then it should have expiration date on it. If it only has a lot number on it, then it is actually older than 1-yr. You can call Taylor with the lot number and they can tell you the manufacturing date. If you purchased the reagent from a source online and it only has a lot id, it is entirely possible that they can sell you expired reagents. Only way to know for sure is to call Taylor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Taylor has started putting expiration dates on their reagent bottles. If your bottle was purchased in the last six months then it should have expiration date on it. If it only has a lot number on it, then it is actually older than 1-yr. You can call Taylor with the lot number and they can tell you the manufacturing date. If you purchased the reagent from a source online and it only has a lot id, it is entirely possible that they can sell you expired reagents. Only way to know for sure is to call Taylor.

Good to know. Thanks. Since the bottle is now empty and discarded, I'm not worried about it, but I will check for a date on the current bottle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.