Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor R-0004 pH Indicator Solution

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor R-0004 pH Indicator Solution

Does the R-0004 solution go bad? As I was running low on this, I noticed that the color of my pH tests was tending toward orange rather than red. At a certain point, determining a pH level became pretty much impossible. By then I had gotten a new bottle of the solution, and it performed as expected.
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor R-0004 pH Indicator Solution

If the R-0004 phenol red goes bad it will turn towards more of a purple or yellow color.

How old was the reagent and dos you store it properly?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

At most it was half a year old, stored in a closet inside with temps ranging from 70 to 78.
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

4. Back To Top    #4

Taylor R-0004 pH Indicator Solution

Taylor has started putting expiration dates on their reagent bottles. If your bottle was purchased in the last six months then it should have expiration date on it. If it only has a lot number on it, then it is actually older than 1-yr. You can call Taylor with the lot number and they can tell you the manufacturing date. If you purchased the reagent from a source online and it only has a lot id, it is entirely possible that they can sell you expired reagents. Only way to know for sure is to call Taylor.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Taylor has started putting expiration dates on their reagent bottles. If your bottle was purchased in the last six months then it should have expiration date on it. If it only has a lot number on it, then it is actually older than 1-yr. You can call Taylor with the lot number and they can tell you the manufacturing date. If you purchased the reagent from a source online and it only has a lot id, it is entirely possible that they can sell you expired reagents. Only way to know for sure is to call Taylor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    Good to know. Thanks. Since the bottle is now empty and discarded, I'm not worried about it, but I will check for a date on the current bottle.