Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diving Boards

1. Back To Top    #1

Diving Boards

I'm building a new pool and plan on installing a diving board. The 2 options I am looking at are the SR Smith Salt Pool Jump System - which uses a kind of leaf spring type system, and the Flight Deck II - which derives its springy-ness from the board itself flexing. Does anyone have experience with either one of these that wouldn't mind weighing in? Also, my pool dimensions will tolerate either a 6' or 8' board - any preferences? I am looking for the greatest "fun factor" rather than aesthetics. Thanks!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diving Boards

Have you checked with your home insurance first, many of them will not cover pools with diving boards. And for a second question is your pool big enough / deep / long enough to safely install a diving board, mine is a 20x40 traditional hopper end, and I feel it is about the minimal size to consider having a diving board.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Once you solve the insurance, and safety matters a board is fantastic fun if that's what you want. If you want spring and bounce, you need a board with springs. Those without are very stiff and lack that extra bounce you are likely looking for. We went with a spring model and couldn't be happier.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Try Travelers Ins if you have trouble, they seem pretty open to pools. My rates didn't change and they didn't even ask about a diving board. Unlike my brother in FL who had to remove the diving board and the brackets to mount it had to be cut flush with the deck.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Few residential pools built today meet the minimum requirements for a diving board under the ANSI standards. http://srsmith.com/media/47241/06-052ansi-standard.pdf

I have a rock
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

I got the SR smith cantilever jump stand with the 8' board, has a lot of spring. My son can do a 1 1/2 easily and is close to doing a double, I'm lucky to get around once. When I told my insurance co about the pool and board, they weren't worried as long as the pool met the requirements as far as depth and bottom contour.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

The thread seemed to be taking a left turn from discussion of the type of diving board, to insurance companies. I have moved the insurance comments here: Insurance Diving Boards
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I did need to re powder coat the cantilever stand after only 2 years, starting to rust, so that may be a good reason to get a different type of base.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.