Hi from Richland Hills, TX :)

Feb 20, 2016
Richland Hills, TX
Hi there,

My name is Crystal. I'm a mother of a toddler girl, we have 2 dachshunds and a cat. We just moved into a house that has a pool and my husband has shown no interest in maintaining it, but I DO! ;) I have NO CLUE what I am doing and was thrilled when a friend recommended this forum to me.

I'm so excited to get started and get my new pool CLEAN! Right now it's leaf ridden and green :( The previous owner took really good care of it, but then passed away suddenly and his family didn't keep the pool man coming. It's been ignored for approximately 4 months.:oops:

I'd like to try my hand at it before asking for professional help, and I do believe I can do it.

Thanks!
Crystal
AKA ~ Granola

HI Crystal, and welcome to TFP. :wave: I suspect you are going to make your husband a bit jealous once you learn the TFP methods and enjoy some "crystal" clear water. Bwaahaaa. For now, make sure you order either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit if you don't already have one. That's #1. After that, you'll want these important pages:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
TFTestkits.net
Pool School - Test Kits Compared
Welcome to TFP! Let us know if you have any questions.

HI Crystal! Boy have you come to the right place! We can and will get your pool clear with a little work on your part. The good thing is that after you get a good test kit everything else can buy most of the pool stuff at...............Target or Walmart! How neat is that??? We will save you so much money and time AND the pool will be safe for your little one!

Lets get you started over here:

Just Getting Started

Since you are so new to pools I think this would be the best fit for you.

I will be on the look out for your thread over there!

HUGS! We have your back!

Kim

Crystal,

Another good reason to provide us some pictures is that we will be able to tell you what type equipment you have, how it works, and how to maintain it. If you are like me, you'll have plenty of questions and pictures will really help us answer them.

Please don't make the number one mistake which is going to a pool store for advise. Their job is to take your money and give you little accurate advice. And, they are very good at it.

As others have recommended, you'll need a good test kit. I also recommend the TF-100 with Speed Stir. The reason you need a good test kit is like the old "You can't get there from here" story. If you don't know where you are (chemically wise) how would it be possible to know how to chemically get your pool where you want it to be.. Clean and Crystal clear.

Jim R