Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi from Richland Hills, TX :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Richland Hills, TX

Cool Hi from Richland Hills, TX :)

Hi there,

My name is Crystal. I'm a mother of a toddler girl, we have 2 dachshunds and a cat. We just moved into a house that has a pool and my husband has shown no interest in maintaining it, but I DO! I have NO CLUE what I am doing and was thrilled when a friend recommended this forum to me.

I'm so excited to get started and get my new pool CLEAN! Right now it's leaf ridden and green The previous owner took really good care of it, but then passed away suddenly and his family didn't keep the pool man coming. It's been ignored for approximately 4 months.

I'd like to try my hand at it before asking for professional help, and I do believe I can do it.

AKA ~ Granola
    in ground pool...

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Hi from Richland Hills, TX :)

HI Crystal, and welcome to TFP. I suspect you are going to make your husband a bit jealous once you learn the TFP methods and enjoy some "crystal" clear water. Bwaahaaa. For now, make sure you order either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit if you don't already have one. That's #1. After that, you'll want these important pages:
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Poolmath calculator
    Pool School - Recommended Levels
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    Welcome to TFP! Let us know if you have any questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

I know a few Texas folks who'll be glad to help you! Test kit....test kit......test kit. (One WE recommend).
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tallahassee, FL

HI Crystal! Boy have you come to the right place! We can and will get your pool clear with a little work on your part. The good thing is that after you get a good test kit everything else can buy most of the pool stuff at...............Target or Walmart! How neat is that??? We will save you so much money and time AND the pool will be safe for your little one!

Lets get you started over here:

Just Getting Started

Since you are so new to pools I think this would be the best fit for you.

I will be on the look out for your thread over there!

HUGS! We have your back!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Hi from Richland Hills, TX :) pictures. We love pictures. My hubby refuses to learn also. I manage my pool myself with help here. These folks are amazing and always willing to help.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Pacific NW

Yes please post photos before, during & after the cleanup.

Always fun to see how massive a transformation it is.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

Another good reason to provide us some pictures is that we will be able to tell you what type equipment you have, how it works, and how to maintain it. If you are like me, you'll have plenty of questions and pictures will really help us answer them.

Please don't make the number one mistake which is going to a pool store for advise. Their job is to take your money and give you little accurate advice. And, they are very good at it.

As others have recommended, you'll need a good test kit. I also recommend the TF-100 with Speed Stir. The reason you need a good test kit is like the old "You can't get there from here" story. If you don't know where you are (chemically wise) how would it be possible to know how to chemically get your pool where you want it to be.. Clean and Crystal clear.

Jim R
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach