Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWCG or Stenner

1. Back To Top    #1

SWCG or Stenner

Am building a pool and am still up in the air on sanitizers. This forum has taught me that tab systems are the least desirable. I really want a SWCG but am SUPER spooked about the damage to my coping and decking from the salt. Yes, sealing the stone is an option. I raised the issue of a liquid chlorine system and Stenner pump with the pool company and the saleswoman had no helpful information. They all seem to push tab chlorine systems in this part of Texas (DFW). This is very disturbing because it looks like if I want a Stenner system I will have to tell them what I need since they are not being very helpful or they simply don't know. The pool will be inground with attached spa totaling 18,000+ gallons. All direct sunlight for majority of the day. Can someone provide me some info as to what I need for a liquid chlorine system?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWCG or Stenner

I personally believe that most salt damage horror stories are way over blown. My daughter has a pool with flagstone coping. The coping was put in before we converted over to a salt water system. You can look at individual stones and see differences in their structure. Some of the stones appear to have thin layers that flake off over time. Again, this was "Before Salt"... After a year of using the SWG I can see virtually no difference in the stones. The pieces that had flaking, have the same flaking as before. The pieces that had no flaking, still have no flaking. I think it has a lot more to do with the quality of the stone being used than it has to do with salt or no salt.

But.. if I only had two choices... Salt system or Coping... I'd take the Salt system first and the coping second. I believe that the ease of maintenance using a SWG outweighs the visual appearance of whatever coping I could have.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am a rebel with salt and unsealed flagstone. Almost 4 years and no regrets. I have similar findings to Jim. More info about my flagstone in my build thread, link in sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Below is a link to my setup and the cost, third post down. This was done in 2014 and the pump prices have gone up a little since then. The used barrel I got from a car wash place for $11. This has been one of the best and most cost effective investments for maintaining the pool that I've made.

Did I pull the trigger too fast?
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think one of the things to keep in mind when deciding between the Stenner and a SWG is where to get bulk Chlorine. I believe in Florida, where Mike lives, you can buy 12% chlorine in bulk in reusable containers.

Here in Texas, I have been unable to find a source that will supply bulk chlorine, so that means you are forced to buy regular 8.25% bleach at Walmart, home centers, or grocery stores.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes to Jimrahbe. I'm a little spoiled by the ease of access to bulk chlorine in Florida.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Here in Texas, I have been unable to find a source that will supply bulk chlorine, so that means you are forced to buy regular 8.25% bleach at Walmart, home centers, or grocery stores.

Jim R.
    Jim, not to derail the conversation, but HASA is the go to company in/around TX for bulk chlorine. They sell through retailers like pool stores. Here is what they show near Bedford Bedford.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Now, back to the original question. HASA shows this as the nearest dealer to Prosper

Attachment 45268
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

In texas, you can also get 10% liquid chlorine at big box stores and pool stores. I don't know about prices because I use 8.25% bleach from Kroger in my hot tub and to supplement the swg in the pool. I buy it when it is on sale.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Hello fellow prosper resident. I have been using a stenner for about 2 years now with great success. I would not hesitate to do it again. I usually get my bleach from walmart of target.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Up until a couple years ago liquid chlorine was impossible to find in North Texas. I have a custom setup I've been using for a while that I'm about to redo. I get bulk chlorine like jim5055 posted above from 1stop pool in Plano @ Custer and Spring Creek. With the exception of one lady that may not even work there anymore they are all good folks. It may be worth stopping in to talk to them about what you want to do. They've helped me out getting odd parts before, and will match or at least come close to matching internet prices and give you tips on how to fix things and best of all won't give you flack about using BBB.

11. Back To Top    #11

I would vote salt. Less lugging, less hassle. If it comes down to cost though, initially the salt system and salt runs much more then the Stenner solution. I think the salt system takes less maintenance as well, you do have to dial both in and monitor regularly for seasonal/usage/weather changes to maintain proper levels. While not a fire and forget solution, they both sure make you feel better leaving the pool for a week or two on vacation.

The other advantage to salt, is if a luddite asks how you are maintaining your pool, and you answer salt, they inveritably say "good, I hate chlorine pools." I always get a kick out of someone making a bit of a fool out of themselves
    - Matrioux

2007 18K pebble IG pool - Wincor Pool Systems automation & SWG (under development) - DE Jandy DEL60 Filter - Jandy 1HP Pump - TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Steve #1 View Post
    Up until a couple years ago liquid chlorine was impossible to find in North Texas. I have a custom setup I've been using for a while that I'm about to redo. I get bulk chlorine like jim5055 posted above from 1stop pool in Plano @ Custer and Spring Creek. With the exception of one lady that may not even work there anymore they are all good folks. It may be worth stopping in to talk to them about what you want to do. They've helped me out getting odd parts before, and will match or at least come close to matching internet prices and give you tips on how to fix things and best of all won't give you flack about using BBB.
    I was excited about this until I ran the numbers, unless my math is off this looks to be higher cost for chlorine than store bleach. Here are the numbers I used Pool store $20 for 4 gallons of 12.5% vs Walmart at $2.94 for 121 oz of 8.25%. Looks like an oz of pure chlorine from the pool store is 31 cents vs 29 cents from Walmart.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    I was excited about this until I ran the numbers, unless my math is off this looks to be higher cost for chlorine than store bleach. Here are the numbers I used Pool store $20 for 4 gallons of 12.5% vs Walmart at $2.94 for 121 oz of 8.25%. Looks like an oz of pure chlorine from the pool store is 31 cents vs 29 cents from Walmart.
    That is many times the case. If you have Dollar General in the area their bleach is even a little less expensive than WalMart. Plus, you have the added benefit of a smaller store and not dealing with the lines at WalMart.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    For me it is worth the price difference. Pool store guys will carry it out to my truck, I don't have to carry as much in to the back yard, I can store more in my storage drum, my recycle bin doesn't get filled up with empty bleach bottles, pool store is closer to the house than Walmart. I'm not a fan of Walmart and would rather give my money to a local business. But yes, I'm fortunate that they are only about a mile from the house.