Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hydrogen peroxide vs monopersulfate as an oxidizer

1. Back To Top    #1

hydrogen peroxide vs monopersulfate as an oxidizer

what is the difference between 'hydrogen peroxide' and 'monopersulfate' when using them as oxidizers? Is one better or more recommended than the other?
    thanks.
    20,000 gallon indoor saltwater pool.
    36' x 18' with vinyl liner. 3 1/2 shallow end, 4 1/2 deep end.
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator/ Hayward Turbo Cell-15 Salt Cell.
    89 degree water temp/90 degree air temp.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hydrogen peroxide vs monopersulfate as an oxidizer

It depends on what you are doing overall, but H2O2 will react and consume Chlorine, and MPS will not, however MPS will falsely show as CC on the DPD and FAS-DPD Chlorine test unless you use a special add on test interference remover. But before we get into that too far, let me ask how are you maintaining your pool, and why do you think you need a supplemental oxidizer? I too have an indoor pool, and rarely need supplemental oxidation, to the point that while I bought an Ozone generator for the pool a few years ago I have never bothered hooking it up, as I find that by following TFP methods I only run into a need for supplemental oxidation once or twice per year after large swim parties, and then I just use MPS.

Ike

p.s. I do note you keep your water about 5-6 degrees warmer than I keep mine
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Both are oxidizers. Hydrogen peroxide is typically only used in conjuction with a biguanide sanitation system. Alone, hydrogen peroxide breaks down pretty quickly in pool water.

Monopersulfate is a very good oxidizer as well and can be used in conjuction with a chlorine or bromine system to oxidize bather waste, break down combined chlorines or reactivate bromide to bromine.

Hydrogen peroxide cannot be a sanitizer on its own. Simply an oxidizer that is actually best used when FC levels are too high and immediate FC reduction is necessary.

MPS is useful, but in many cases, simply using chlorine (liquid bleach) is cheaper and just as effective, assuming CYA levels are not far too high.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks guys, good info. My main concern, as you noted, was that I had read MPS will falsely show as CC on the DPD and FAS-DPD Chlorine test. Does Hydrogen Peroxide give the same type of false reading?
    20,000 gallon indoor saltwater pool.
    36' x 18' with vinyl liner. 3 1/2 shallow end, 4 1/2 deep end.
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator/ Hayward Turbo Cell-15 Salt Cell.
    89 degree water temp/90 degree air temp.

5. Back To Top    #5

Not to my knowledge, but since it consumes massive amounts of Chlorine you would be fighting yourself since you have an SWG.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RockyStandish View Post
    thanks guys, good info. My main concern, as you noted, was that I had read MPS will falsely show as CC on the DPD and FAS-DPD Chlorine test. Does Hydrogen Peroxide give the same type of false reading?
    Taylor sells a total oxidizer test kit that lets you measure the MPS levels and corrects for the interferences on the DPD-FAS test. The K-1520 works with the DPD-only test kits (K-1004 & K-1005) to remove the MPS interference and costs about $25. The K-1518 is a DPD-FAS chlorine test that includes the reagents necessary to test for the MPS level as well. That kit costs ~ $82.

H2O2 in a chlorinated pool will not last long enough to interfere with the chlorine test unless you add enough to consume all of your available FC.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I believe this point needs repeating: hydrogen peroxide is a chlorine neutralizer. In a chlorine pool it will do nothing but lower your FC level, no oxidation at all. You cannot use hydrogen peroxide as a supplimental oxidizer in a chlorine pool.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits