Need some advise owner built pool

Hey guys I just started build a 16x32 in-ground vinyl liner pool about 2 weeks ago and I wanted to get some advise or gain some knowledge if I can. I had an excavator clear and level a spot and once done he started digging first the shallow depth and over dig all looked good. Then when he dug the hopper we ran into sandstone but nothing to bad but when it breaks up sometimes more comes up than needs be and I think he inadvertently got in to the wall shelf a little. I just got off the phone with my Mason that is doing the bottom and he didn't seem worried about that part but I am a little concerned with the steel walls in a few places hanging in the air in a few places. I know you suppose to dig, measure, dig, measure but I think he did a little to much dig and not enough measure.
I should be getting my kit this week or first of next week so I think until I get the walls installed things might become a little clearer. Excavator did not want me to buy kit until we dug and knew there would be no issues with hitting solid rock.
So here are just a few questions:
  • If edge of shelf where wall sits is low or over dug how would this be fixed.
  • How much can the mortar & sand base fill in before needing anything else done and if something else what.
I will add photos later, we are getting rain right now so i have a muddy pond at the moment :(

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Far and away, this forum is pool owners and not pool builders.

That said, an over-dig is pretty easily fixed with rock (#57 is the name for it in NC...it is about 3/4 inch average washed limestone and will not settle)

What do you mean "mortar and sand base" are you talking about the pool floor? (which is normally vermiculite and portland cement)

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Far and away, this forum is pool owners and not pool builders.

That said, an over-dig is pretty easily fixed with rock (#57 is the name for it in NC...it is about 3/4 inch average washed limestone and will not settle)

What do you mean "mortar and sand base" are you talking about the pool floor? (which is normally vermiculite and portland cement)

Thanks, I have been searching and reading this forum since deciding to build a pool myself and I have gained a lot from reading other DIY types on here. I am an electrical contractor and actually got my business started by wiring pools years and years ago so I have been in the construction field for some time and familiar with a good bit, enough to be dangerous:p.
Yes I meant sand & mortar, seems around here that's how they do it, 5 parts mason sand to one part Type II Portland cement which I have someone doing that part. My real concern is the shelf edge where the inside edge of the wall would set, there are a few spots that got taken out when we hit some sandstone. So I'm trying to figure out what I can do in those spots or is it a huge concern, and now that its dug I'm also thinking driving the A brace stakes will be tough with the dirt I have. Seems i have decomposing sandstone with some clay mixed it. After today and tomorrows rain I'm sure the hole will look even different than it does now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.