O/B Woodland Hills, CA

Hi Frank. I'm loving the travertine you chose! So beautiful. And I had to laugh about your AC change out because I think you'd be surprised if you saw the relic from the 70's we're still working with. It's huge and makes the most annoying high pitched whining sound throughout the neighborhood when it's on. I'm sure our neighbors want to break it for us so we'll finally be forced to switch it out. Can't wait to see more of your progress.

Hi Julie!! Remember all my irritating phone calls 9 months ago???? Thanks for all your advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Updates!
Travertine paving is done:
paving2_zpsxckj9lyt-1.jpg

paving3_zpsuui45v5f-1.jpg

The drains came out pretty good. (I had to buy white ones because Apapaz2 bought all the beige ones :eek:).

drain_zpsbz3am1eo-1.jpg

All of our tile came in this week. We are doing 11" of 1x2 AIM turquoise glass waterline tile, 6" in the spa and the spillway. The spa bench will be 1x1 tiles as will be the edges of the steps. I ordered the bullnose glass tiles for the edge of the spa bench and the top of the spillway...man those pieces are expensive.

Plaster finish will be Stonescapes mini pebble Zanzibar that is white.

tileplaster_zpsfwait8id-1.jpg

Up next: fences and gates, then landscaping.

Frank, we're looking for a light pebble finish also. Did you look at other manufacturers, too? How did you choose Stonescapes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to do PebbleTec - Pebble Fina in "Classico" which is a little bit darker than the sample in the pic above. I figured that it must be the original and the best. The problem is there are only two "approved" applicators in our area (both in San Fernando a few blocks from each other?). They were both underwhelming, so it made me look elsewhere, and Im glad they did. I stumbled on the Stonescapes in the NPT showroom in Van Nuys and started calling around and got a sample from a pool guy yesterday and loved it. I would do plain white plaster if it were not for the maintenance, so this Zanzibar is a perfect match for us.

I think all these pebble finishes are about the same regardless of the manufacturer. It depends on the installer more than anyone else. I much more concerned about the glass tile installation done correctly, than the plaster finish.

I have to get the gates installed and the equipment set and bonded to call for the pre plaster inspection before I can start - so I have some time. I just sucks because now it is high season for the outdoor contractors and the good ones are weeks and weeks out on scheduling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gates, fences and landscaping the last couple of weeks. We ended up with over 100' of redwood on both sides. Did the matching gates on steel frames "while we are at it"...of course neither neighbor was interested in participating...

Next is equipment set, then inspection, then tile/plaster.

lands2_zpsecdwften-1.jpg

landscape_zps1kziudkb-1.jpg

fence_zpslskz1ccg-1.jpg

gate2_zps6drdbyqg-1.jpg

Hey there - How's your project coming along?

Question on your hidden drains. I see that the square ones are listed on their site as shower drains. Were you able to use the 1 1/4" thick paver or did you have to shave them down? If they intend them for shower drains I'm surprised that they'd accept material that thick.

Thanks and let us know how you're doing!

I thin he used the 11" Square Skimmer Kit from PourALid.

Hiddenddrains sells PourALid products. The skimmer cover can be used for many things and this is one of them. The skimmer lid product consists of two parts, the top part that is filled with the deck material. The second lower piece is just a flange that fits into the circle on top of the actual skimmer assembly and the top of which receives the top part/form.

I'm certain we are looking at the same thing. Here are the technical drawings of the two pieces. The "tray" is 2.38" thick, so minus the thickness of the tray itself gives you the depth. Probably would need to take some off of the bottom of the pavers though a good mason should have no trouble doing that, along with cutting out the finger holes.

http://www.stetsondevelopment.com/images/squarepouralid.PDF

Also, here is the pdf brochure which highlights the uses as being for various things beside use as a skimmer lid.

http://www.stetsondevelopment.com/images/images/pouralid_brochure.pdf

I hope these additional details are helpful.

That's great info, thanks. But I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm just looking for a 4" drain cover on the patio. The OP used them so I'm just curious if he had any issues because we're using similar travertine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.