Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/B Woodland Hills, CA

1. Back To Top    #1

O/B Woodland Hills, CA

Ive started my Owner Builder pool here in Southern California. It's just my wife and I (no kids) so this is an adult pool. My wife wanted a "shoebox" so that is what we've designed. The pool ends up being 12' wide and 30' long (10,500 gal), 6 feet of Baja deck with bubblers and a 6'x6' raised spa with spillway and 10 jets. All the equipment is Jandy with SWG and their Versa-Plumb piping kit, Im doing an in floor cleaning system and Jandy RS/PS4 with the iPhone interface. I've included an allowance for a Pebble Tec type finish. Ive carved an 8x8' cutout in my small hill adjacent to the pool and will be building a CMU (concrete block) enclosure for the equipment, hopefully it cuts down on the noise. Coping will be poured in place cool deck.

Design:
    poollayout.11.jpg

So far, we have only chosen the waterline tile: We are looking for an Aqua/turquoise water color - so if anyone has any suggestions on pebble finish - i'm all ears!

Before:

My excavation guy was well equipped. 3 dump trucks, 2 Bobcats and a backhoe for a 12x30 pool.

Plumber is coming Monday....

O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: O/B Woodland Hills, CA

Great start!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice setting.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Love the tile picks. Which one are you using where?

What will you put in the dirt across from the house? That could be fun to fix up!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like a great start. I used Master Tile too and loved the results. Good luck!
    Rectangular pool 28x16 and spa 8x7, 17,000 gallons, IG, Tropics Blue Mini-Pebble, Jandy 60 DE filter, saltwater cell, Jandy VS pump, 1.5 hp Jandy spa pump, 400k heater, 5' Sheer Descent with 1 hp Jandy pump, Jandy color LED lights. Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by apapaz2 View Post
    Looks like a great start. I used Master Tile too and loved the results. Good luck!
    Thanks dude. You are the reason I have 10 jets in the spa! like you, they are going to add a 1.5hp spa pump!

O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is a video from the security cam that I cut down to :45. Check out how close the bobcats are. the pool is only 12' wide!

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...are_video_user

8. Back To Top    #8

Rough (in floor) Plumbing done, Steel tomorrow!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Steel done today.
    Plumber comes back Monday to plumb the pool and spa.

The steel guys love rectangular pools!

10. Back To Top    #10

Looking good! You're going to love that pool come summer in the valley. Those tandem bobcat drivers have skills!

11. Back To Top    #11

LOL on the bobcat chasing that one guy! It almost looks like he did not want to move but the bobcat just kept on coming!

NICE job so far! Have you measured everything to make sure it is deep enough, wide enough, long enough, etc. Add in about 3 inches for gunite and plaster.

I hope you have your test kit already. You are going to need it soon! Look in my siggy for the one we use and love.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    LOL on the bobcat chasing that one guy! It almost looks like he did not want to move but the bobcat just kept on coming!

NICE job so far! Have you measured everything to make sure it is deep enough, wide enough, long enough, etc. Add in about 3 inches for gunite and plaster.

I hope you have your test kit already. You are going to need it soon! Look in my siggy for the one we use and love.

Kim
    Thanks for the reminder!!!! I'll get on the test kit right away.
    My Gunite will be 12" thick...

13. Back To Top    #13

12" inches thick for gunite????? That pool will NOT be going anywhere!

Kim

14. Back To Top    #14

Looking good so far. Wish I had the room to add a spa like that
    10k Gal, IG Gunite, 10' X 28' X 5.5', Quartz, Hayward Ecostar VS 2HP, Hayward 325 sq ft, 2" plumbing, 2 24" sheer decent, 2 bubblers in tanning ledge, Hayward LED, Build Date Dec. 2015. auto pool cleaner suction side. Suntrek Solar panels, Taylor K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Wow...they're moving right along! I really love the design...very classy. Can't wait to see it when it's done!
    My renovation completed March 2016; 16 x 32 IG gunite play pool, ~14,000 gallons; Wet Edge Prism Matrix Indigo Blue; Pentair 5G Color LED Light w/controller; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP VSP; Hayward SwimClear C5030 cartridge filter; Hayward Swimpure Plus (Aqua Rite) salt chlorinator system with T-15 cell; Maytronics Dolphin Deluxe 4 DX4 robot cleaner.

16. Back To Top    #16

Finished all the plumbing. I have 10 jets in my 6x6 spa . Also got all the rough electrical in and everything else needed for pre plaster so I called for inspection.

Thanks City of LA. The inspector(s) showed up a day early and I had the permit cards and stamped plans inside the house and I was at work...He called me and explained there was too much loose fill in the baja deck and his soil poker was going too deep and wanted a field memo from a geologist to make sure "everything is OK" and left a correction notice. Oh well. Methinks he was not happy about the lack of plans and permit cards. He kept asking who the contractor was and I had to explain that I was the O/B.
    Ive already called the soil guy and got a field memo. He wants the Pool Engineer to verify a couple of things, so by the time i get everything papered up - I should be shotcrete-ing next week. Just as well, it is supposed to rain Sunday so the original plan to shoot Monday was not going to happen anyways.

17. Back To Top    #17

Up date. Its been a few weeks.
    I have to recind my comments about LA City DBS inspection. It turns out that the inspector was correct and the Engineer did not take into account the "surcharge" of the hill "immediately adjacent" to my pool. Per the correction notice, I hired a geologist who confirmed the problem - so went back to the pool engineering company and asked why it was not designed correctly. They missed it and reengineered the steel specs. I called the steel guy back out and they had to remove a bunch of the 3/8" rebar and replace it with 1/2". While this was going on, we had a couple of really good bouts of rain that washed all the muck into the deep end and pretty much buried the rebar.
    So it all worked out well for me. When they pulled the old rebar out, it gave great access to remove the loose fill and muck to be removed:

rebar removed -

Cleaning out the bottom:

New rebar installed (1/2" on 3" centers!!)
    Keep in mind there is 12" of 3000psi shot crete on top of this..

Next is cement installation!

18. Back To Top    #18

Shotcrete was this week:

now I'm rain proof!
    it probably won't rain until next year - but none the less.

Equipment started showing up. It's like Christmas!!!

19. Back To Top    #19

OH what wonderful progress! I am glad the rebar all worked out in the end! NICE catch insp!

Kim

20. Back To Top    #20

Still been working on this project.
    We changed our minds a lot as we went along.

We decided that the old 4" CMU wall needed to go, so we got rid of it and installed slumpstone (we should have done this before digging, but oh well)

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast