Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what size sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Brandon , Fl

what size sand filter

Hey all.. I'm new to the pool world and could use some help. Last season I purchased the coleman 9x18x48 rectangle pool. The pump is terrible and doesn't do its job. Would like to upgrade to sand filter. I have heard you can use the intex sand filter with coleman pool. But, I do not know what size to get.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: what size sand filter

Hello and welcome to TFP! If my calculations are correct, your pool would be just under 5,000 gallons right? To be clear, not only do you want to consider a sand filter replacement (upgrade), but your pump is inadequate as well. So you might actually be looking a replacing both right? If so, that's good. Often times they go together when calculating good/efficient replacements. It appears that Coleman and Intex fittings are the same, so that's good. As a general rule you want a larger filter and smaller pump than are usually sold in those combination packages. For the pump, a two speed pump will save you a significant amount of money in the long run, since pumps are more efficient when run on low speed. For the filter, you usually want the largest filter you can afford and have room for. Larger filters go longer between backwashes/cleanings and also improve system efficiency.

While waiting for more replies, HERE was a good discussion about a pump/filter combo replacement for a pool similar to yours. There are many other examples, and you should receive several more inputs to your question.

HERE was another good discussion.

Intex Krystal Clear 2150 GPH 3/4 HP Swimming Pool 14 Sand Filter Pump 28647EG | Affordable Pool Parts
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: what size sand filter

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the pool! Lots of people upgrade their Intex and Coleman pools with sand filters and it makes a big improvement.

Something like this would be great,
    Game SandPro 35D Pool Filter System 4706 | Game 4706

or the largest Intex sand filter, which I think is 16".
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach