Replastering with Quartzscapes

So we are going to be replastering with Quartzscapes. We viewed two pools today (one brand new, the other 3 years old) with this finish. We really like the dark blue color. However, the refinishing guy warned us that a dark finish can look lighter over time (over a period of years). Is this correct? And if so, why? Does the dark pigment fade?

Also, we are missing a corner tile and one other tile next to our skimmer. You can see a small crack behind where the tile used to be (above the waterline). There are no other loose tiles or hollow sounds. The pool replastering guy said it is likely a small crack in the beam and that (assumming nothing major becomes apparent when they remove the tile) they can fill it when they do the re-tile for no extra cost. He said the crack may come back some day, or might not (he seems like a very straightforward guy, pointing out pros and cons of different products, telling why we may or may not like certain things, is low-pressure, etc). He said this is a really common problem with older pools. But I have read elsewhere that beam repairs are expensive and very involved so I am concerned. For what it's worth we got 3 other estimates and NONE of the people who came out thought the crack was a big deal, not even the guy who was obviously trying to nickle-and-dime us for every last $$$. Basically everyone said the same thing (they they could fill it with something and that it was most likely no big deal). I actually had a thread about this last year but there were no real conclusions since we did not end up doing the work this year. If it matters, we have lived here for a couple years now and the crack has not gotten any worse (the tile was missing when we moved in and we have not lost any more). There are no roots anywhere near the area (the crack is on the side next to our house), there are no cracks in the (cantilevered, concrete) decking, no leaks that we know of, no wet spots, etc. I am not sure if the crack WOULD leak if the water was higher. Anyway if anyone has further insight about this let me know.

Crack:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130913930@N08/16508573309/

Pool:

https://m.flickr.com/photos/130913930@N08/16508573309/

That is a pretty pool and area!

I would go with what the "pros" said. They do this for a living so hopefully they know what they are talking about. I like that you had more than one look at it to make sure.

Kim

Minor cracks in pools are fairly common and not a big deal at all. We've had a couple, one three years ago that leaked and one last year that didn't. Epoxy was used by the PB to fix them both times.

If you have clay soil then the key to managing soil movement is to maintain relatively even moisture levels in the soil surrounding the pool area. We use a micro-irrigation system on a timer.

I have heard that the blue plaster products are more difficult to produce for some reason and that they tend to fade over time. That is why they typically cost more and this is true for other manufacturers like Pebbletec as well. Gray plaster will give you blue water without the blue upgrade cost, the darker the gray the darker blue the water.

Thanks Pooldv. I am trying to avoid gray mainly because we have gray now and I don't like it (of course it is kind of hard to tell since the finish is so damaged). Our pool is very shallow (4.5 feet at the deepest part) and the water looks pond-like. I am going for tropical lol. Maybe Tahoe blue would be easier to care for and fade less since it is lighter? Or blue quartz flecks on a white background?

Well, that is a great reason to avoid the gray! :-D Tropical is awesome! I would focus on getting the look you like and not worry too much about if it will fade. NPT makes an excellent product and it will be great. Any of their products will be easy to care for and TFPC will give it the best chance for long term success. Tahoe is nice and I like the Aruba too.

@Pooldv thanks for the tips lol. We saw a pool yesterday that was about 3 years old with Barbados Blue. You could see some white-ish marks on the bottom (calcium?) but the guy did admit that he does not take very good care of it. Overall though his pool still looked very nice. He had abalone added to his quartzscapes and it was still nice and shiny too. Now my husband wants to add abalone to ours too. Does abalone hold up over time? Being a shell I am worried it might crumble but this guy's still looked good. Here's a picture of his top step (the light parts on the step are reflections):

https://flic.kr/p/Dp2FzP

It does look good. I am not all that familiar with the shells but lots of people like them and add them. It is very possible that their pool has calcium scaling.

Water is typically pretty hard in your area. It isn't difficult to manage hard water but it must be done to avoid scaling. Monitor your CSI score in Poolmath and keep it slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.2. This is done by adjusting PH, TA and to a lesser extent CH. The only way to lower CH is a partial drain or overflow from lots of rain. But CH up to 800ish is manageable, many people here do it.

More on scale and CSI here,
Pool School - Calcium Scaling
Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Quartzscapes replaster/retile/new light

Okay, so today was day 1 of our pool replaster! We are going with Tahoe Blue. I've attached a pic of our waterline tile (the blue tile) with our accent tile (the iridescent glass tile) next to a pool with the finish we chose. I think it's going to be pretty!

Here's my concern. We had lost a couple of tiles due to a little crack in our beam right next to the skimmer. The PB said he could fix it easily if it was small, but we'd have to take the tile off to find out how bad things were. Well, the crack by the skimmer is pretty short (a couple feet?) but there are other, skinnier but longer cracks (see pics). They're all above the water line. I am pretty sure that they all need fixing but they are so small that I don't know if they just need to be chipped out and filled, or what. Any advice? Tiling is supposed to happen tomorrow.

I tried to upload pics but it's not working...I think I am out of space but can't figure out how to delete pics from my old threads. Anyway, here's links.

Here's our colors:
https://flic.kr/p/GexQqd
Here's our cracks:
https://flic.kr/p/GgQD9Z
https://flic.kr/p/GaZrx6
This one is the worst (next to our skimmer, where two tiles were missing):
https://flic.kr/p/GgQDhp

Mods: if you need to merge this with my old thread please feel free. I couldn't figure out how to change my thread title. Sorry!

No problem! Moved your post here to the old thread as requested.

Thank you!

Well we are two days in to the resurfacing. We got our waterline tile installed yesterday. One thing that worries me is that a big chunk of the "bond coat" or whatever you call it chipped off! Makes me worry that the new surface might not adhere correctly. My husband says they might have accidentally hit it with their wet saw or something when they were doing the tile.

I still can't figure out how to delete my old attachments, and I am out of room so here are a couple of links to my photos.

Closeup of chunk of bond coat missing

New tile (The tiles are not different colors; it's just the way the sun is hitting them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.