Possible Weak Flow Causes?

Dec 21, 2014
Clayton, CA
I am in need of help in diagnosing the cause of weak water flow. About two months ago I cleaned my filter assembly, after which I noted two things: (1) my flow increased somewhat and (2) the air relief valve pressure indicator on top of the filter went from 20 psi to zero. Since then my flow has been decreasing and it is now quite weak -- to the point where I can no longer effectively vacuum the pool. Suspecting a suction side air leak, I cleaned out the pump basket and re-seated the lid. That did not help -- the flow remained weak. When I restarted the pump, it was unable to push water out of the air relief valve on top of the filter, but water was flowing through the system.

Is there any reason that this could be caused by something I did wrong in cleaning and reassembling the filter two months ago, or is this definitely a suction side air leak?

Two other notes that may be relevant:
1) I have only had this pool for 1.5 years, but during that time I have noticed that the water in the pump basket never stays at the lid even when the flow is good. I have always wondered if this was normal...
2) When I cleaned out the pump basket, it was actually quite full of leaves and whatnot, yet the air relief valve pressure indicator on top of the filter was still at zero.

Your thoughts on this topic are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
-J Phresh

Excellent suggestion WASP! As it happens, that was the issue... I checked the impeller and there was all kinds of debris in there. Once I got it cleaned out, the flow went back to normal! The pump was able to easily push water out of the air relief valve on top of the filter, and the pressure indicator on top of the filter now reads 10 psi. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.