Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my heat pump big enough?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lawrence, KS

Is my heat pump big enough?

We are building 20x40 inground vinyl liner, 30,000 gallons, and are equipping it with a Pentair 125,000 BTU heat/cool pump. We hope to use the pool from May thru October in Kansas. I wanted to make sure the heat pump was big enough to heat the pool to 85-88 degrees on a regular basis. Any thoughts or feedback are greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Is my heat pump big enough?

The heat pump will raise the water temperature about 0.5 degree per hour. So on demand heating will take quite awhile but if you run the heater every day, then it should be able keep up with the heat loss. It just might cost you a fortune though.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

A good solar cover (bubble type) will help you a lot. An opaque auto-cover would be good too but that adds a lot of cost to a pool build. As with any type of heating method (gas or heat pump), evaporative heat loss is the biggest driver of how well you can maintain a particular water temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have natural gas available?