Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing single speed leaking pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing single speed leaking pool pump

We just recently purchased purchased our house and the pool pump is leaking already. Before we purchased it the motor on the pool pump was going out so the seller replaced it. I'm not sure if the motor they replaced it with was new or used but it looks fairly new. The new motor is kind of noisy, doesnt really bother me but i would rather buy a new pump than fix this one especially not knowing the history. It seems to be leaking around where the new motor is joined to the pump and started leaking a month into the new motor. Currently we have a hayward northstar 2hp pool pump and the pool is about 13000-15000 gallons. I'm considering a variable speed pool pump but don't know if its worth the additional cost. We pay .10 cents per kw and .075 cents if the usage is over 1000kw, which is not hard to do. Im considering the 2hp single speed Hayward SP2615X20 for about $450, the 2hp Hayward SP3200VSP TriStar for $775 or the hayward maxflo SP2302VSP for about $650. Is it worth the extra ~$300 to go with variable speed for me?
    Pool Info - IG Plaster, ~13k Gal, 2HP ECO Hayward Pump, Polaris P825 Cleaner, Cartridge Filter, Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing single speed leaking pool pump

Is that pump also running the spa? Or just the filter and pool returns?

I am a big fan of my VS pump because of the flexibility to control the waterflow for different things like solar panels, SWG, waterfall. Also, because I can run the pump 24x7 when the trees are dropping tons of stuff in the pool in spring and fall. I run it at 1100rpm for skimming and making chlorine. The pump only draws 150 watts and at 10.25c/kWh it costs less than 12 bucks a month to run it 24x7. Skimming 24x7 keeps the leaves and junk in the skimmer baskets and off the bottom.

I would get a 2 speed pump at a minimum and then you can run it on low for filtering/skimming and save about 75% of the electricity.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, it also runs the spa which has an overflow waterfall into the pool. We have a separate pump for the waterfalls. Currently we run the pump for 13 hours a day. But VS would come in handy as you mentioned at keeping junk out of the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are happy with the waterflow from the 2hp pump then you could get a 2 speed 2hp pump. A 2 speed pump moves about half the water volume with about 25% of the electricity consumption on low speed.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I agree with pools BUT keep in mind it would be under 350 to completely rebuild your pump. If your happy with it in general and the housing isn't cracked I would give this some serious consideration.
    Duck's Swimming Pool Service & Repair
    Winchester, Virginia

6. Back To Top    #6

Any advantages on going with a tristar over a maxflo?
    Pool Info - IG Plaster, ~13k Gal, 2HP ECO Hayward Pump, Polaris P825 Cleaner, Cartridge Filter, Spa

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

More ability to customize your programming with the tristar.
    Duck's Swimming Pool Service & Repair
    Winchester, Virginia

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess ill have to go with tristar. Looks like they don't make a maxflo VS with 2hp. Thanks for all the help!