Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA getting too low

1. Back To Top    #1

TA getting too low

folks,

So I've been delighted with my TFP and have been learning a lot since last Nov when I joined. We use our pool a lot even in winter since we're in S Florida- solar/gas heaters spoil us! All test results have been in range using my TF-100 except TA has slowly been creeping down from 130 to a new low of 50 yesterday. I've never adjusted this number but read up on it last night, got my 12lb bag of Baking Soda at WM and added about 1/3 of the amount required to get back to 100 (40 oz by vol). Seemed to dissolve well (pH and FC adjusted yesterday). I'm hoping this goes as well as the other adjustments based on the Pool Math Calculator... they're always spot on! So here's my question. The PM Calculator shows this baking soda addition will increase the pH a LOT (~.8) but I've read that careful addition in small amounts will reduce this. I'm ready to make large pH reduction if needed (in small increments of course) but is there anything else to do other than just monitor the pH and make acid addition as appropriate?

Any comments would be appreciated. This is my first time with TA adjustment and I'd like to be sure my plan makes sense to you experts.

My most recent test results are shown below. Please note I've used trichlor to chlorinate for the past 2 months to increase the CYA and it looks like I'm getting close to target so I'm now back to 10% bleach. I'd like to be on the low end so I can use tablets when needed later this summer for extended travel without getting too high on CYA.

Chris

Date
    TA CYA FC CC CH PH Actions/Observations
    14-Feb-16 60 50 6 0 275 7.7 Rain
    15-Feb-16 Rain
    16-Feb-16 60 50 6 0 275 7.6 Big Rain! Then Sunny later, removed remaining trichlor
    17-Feb-16 5 0 7.7 Sunny!
    18-Feb-16 3.5 0 7.8
    19-Feb-16 50 3.5 0 7.8 readings left 7 am Added 12 oz Muratic, 16 oz bleach, 8pm 4.5 FC pH 7.5
    20-Feb-16 50 4.5 0 7.6 Added 40 oz Baking Soda
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA getting too low

Trichlor is acidic and is probably helping to lower your TA. I wouldn't raise TA much above 60 or so and then wait to see how your PH acts. If PH remains stable then leave your TA wherever it lands between 60 and 80. What is the TA and PH of your fill water?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Baking soda typically has very little affect on pH. Recheck your calcs. If you get the same thing, post back and give us ALL your parameters that you have input.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Baking soda typically has very little affect on pH. Recheck your calcs. If you get the same thing, post back and give us ALL your parameters that you have input.
    Dave,

You're absolutely correct, I had the calculator set to Washing Soda instead of Baking Soda. The results I got were almost exactly as predicted.

As always, thanks so much for the help!

Chris
    -Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

5. Back To Top    #5

Good one Chris. It's good to do that from time to time - just to keep Dave on his toes.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!